Thursday, October 13, 2011

Value The Valuables...

Nope, not talking about the jewelry, the car OR the house. Those things for sure have value, but this morning I am reflecting on those intangibles. You know the saying, "you always want what you can't have." One of those catchy sayings people love to throw at you when you are sounding ungrateful or pouty. Hate to break it to you, my dear readers, but it is SO true. Sadness. For example, I would LOVE to have a thick head of waving, flowing hair. It will not happen. One look at my genetic line and I slink down into my destiny of reality. If I could channel Beyonce's locks, man, life would be grand. Or perhaps I could covet some hollywood-type body. I could have the legs of Rihanna, tall and lean. I could have the looks of Eva Longoria, and I already added Beyonce's hair. Okay, so that is one wierd looking combo, but you get my drift.

See, but those thoughts just entertain me. I know that stuff won't happen. So, I don't put much time or energy into fantasizing about what I don't have. And I try real hard to be very grateful for what I do have. That includes The Hub. What a guy, gush, gush. He's very well-known for his catchy sayings, repetitive jokes and Lord, don't let him get a-hold of something he can't let go of. He will wear it into the ground. Sometimes it is a catchy 80's or 90's tune from way back when we were teenagers. He teaches it to the kids, lets them see a video of it on Youtube, and goodness, the whole house is singing it for two weeks. The man had me singing Will Smith's "Summertime," my awful rendition of it anyway, for a month! Why did it linger so? Well, because there's humor in my version and one things the Copelands do is spend time laughing.

Another of The Hub's predictable actions is his morning wake up call. Daily he bursts into the kids' rooms singing some song that is from now. When I say "burst" I don't mean any piece of him comes in quietly. It might be Justin Bieber, maybe some Selena Gomez, likely some Miranda Carsgrove. Whatever his song of choice is, he comes in loudly and a deaf person couldn't ignore him. Drives the kids crazy! They like to usher him out of their door, slam and lock that bad boy and he will stand there singing from the hallway. It has become a source of great joy for him. For them...not so much. I told them to slap him on the forehead like it's his snooze button. Maybe that will buy them some time. Picture 7am, the sun isn't even up yet, and The Hub is breaking down some pop song of today. You already know it is embarrassing when your parents try to sing anything that is from your generation, period.

Knowing how much the kids dread this wake up call, it was amusing to each of them when he overslept. Talk about a snooze button. They got up quietly with their perfect little mama giving them light, sweet little soft shakes, "wake up honey pie." A stark contrast to their dad's version. I'm also exaggerating the delivery of mine, but for blogging sake, it works. Nonetheless, The Hub missed his cue yesterday. Almost immediately after getting out of bed Bball Girl let him know he missed it. Funny enough, they complain, they whine, they beg him, in fact, to please STOP singing, and yet the one day it was missing they missed it. How about that...

As they prepared for bed last evening, I was surprised and amused to hear Soccer Chick affectionately ask her daddy what song he would be singing the next morning. Girlfriend was really wanting to make sure The Hub didn't miss a 2nd day in a row. Isn't that just the way? We stomp our feet, pout and fuss over what is going on in our lives TODAY, but Lord, let God change some things up and we want to go back to the way it was. Be careful what you ask for. Those things you wish God would get rid of might just be the valuables you need God to keep the same. Might be a bickering relationship, school or that job that you can't take another day of. But let tomorrow bring something completely different, and that job, person or school enrollment is now more, and we will be begging God to bring it back. The lesson for us is to be wise before we have to learn the hard way. Who wants to have something "annoying" all of a sudden come up missing and then we are turning left and right trying to figure out what happened. Value those valuables now while you have them. They might drive you crazy, but imagine a life without them. Quiet and lacking. Who wouldn't rather have some noise in their life over having no noise at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment