Friday, October 14, 2011

Still Got It...

Making the hour trek home from work yesterday evening almost made me forget that the elementary school was hosting the "dine in" day at this precious place: http://sweetfrogyogurt.com/ All of their comrades who bullied their parents into attending would be benefiting their school by having the store donate 20% of proceeds back to the school. I am confident that this is all the whole school talked about on Thursday and they each plotted to surprise attack, wrangle and rope, and then drag their parents to the store on that very evening.

So as I walked in from that hour-long drive, the buzz in the air was palpable. Every morsel of homework was completed, reading was done, clothes were even picked out for the next day. Hmm, friends, I thought to myself, now what in the world has gotten into them. I didn't have to think too long before the barrage of "can we puh-leaseeeee go to Sweet Frog tonight? ALL of my friends will be there." Now, multiply that by 3 kids and you can see my warm welcome home.

After dinner, what did we do? Head to Sweet Frog. What a night! Can you make a yogurt place into a nightclub scene, with dancing music, greeting of friends, a little shoulder-shaking and lots of laughter? Why, yes. Yes you can. Apparently all you have to do is invite an entire school to participate at one time.

When we arrived, the scene wasn't too bad. Maybe I can remember it as we brought the party with us? No sooner than we had made our way into the line that a ton, yes a ton, of people arrived and the line was out the door. This is a small shop, guys. There isn't a whole lot of room and certainly not many tables. With the party music jumping, we foot-shuffled our way through the yogurt dispensers and to the toppings. Somehow we were fortunate enough to get us a back corner seating arrangement. What a grab! We got to see all the action. And, boy, what action it was.

The kids weren't lying when they said all their friends would be there. We saw them with our own eyes. I don't think there were too many students missing. Did I mention that there was a tornado watch for our area last night? Or that as this line was wrapped out the door and down the sidewalk it was lightning and raining heavily? As Youngest would say, "it don't matta!"

Just to make sure my kids know that I still got it, I didn't mind sitting in that corner, shaking my groove thing. In the seat, of course. Its one thing to embarrass them. A complete other thing to embarrass myself. We had some Micheal Jackson old tunes flowing, some Beyonce going, and man, that place was popping. Youngest saw both his main squeezes. When his favorite-favorite arrived he spotted her before we did. Never have I seen a little blond-haired child's face turn red faster. And you know I'm not talking about Youngest. Let's just say they were happy to see each other. And with that Youngest was gone. Just like in the clubbin' days, see someone you know, and you are gone. Mingling, conversing, forgot all about the people you came with. That would be how Youngest left us. And Bball Girl took her clue to do the same thing. Only Soccer Chick graced us with her hang out time. She and her bff crew sat near us and provided plenty of entertainment. Every ten minutes or so we would see Youngest or Bball Girl's head pop up. Like good parents, we were then assured that they at least hadn't been swallowed alive by the crowd.

I can't imagine we were there for over and hour. It felt like days. Youngest had one favorite chick leave and then the other favorite arrived. "Just like his ole' dad used to be," remarked The Hub. "Make sure girl #2 doesn't arrive until girl #1 is safely gone." You know I am shaking my head now as I was shaking my head then. By the time we made it safely back home I promise it felt like we hadn't been in our house for days. Remember those days? Ever have those days? Too much fun in one sitting to feel like it was just one sitting. Whoever had the brilliant idea to coordinate this evening out, kudos to you! The kids had a blast and we had one more confirmation that we are still cool people. Yes, in a yogurt shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment