Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"L" Factor

Many of you might be interested in the new show "X Factor." I am one of those interested persons. I got into American Idol early on, and then the love interest faded for me. With this new show, I have found it has all the wow and pizazz of American Idol and also lots of bells and whistles, twists and turns, that make it different. The kids and I have enjoyed watching as the season winds down and the contestants get weeded out.





What really amazes me is who some of the finalists are. Some of them I just don't get what the buzz is all about. This guy would be one of them:







Dexter Haygood. Early on I pondered how he got through each stage. He has a sad story, for sure. It definitely saddened me to see he is homeless, living out of his car, has struggled with alcohol and drug problems in the past and just wants to be a rock and roll singer. But, as I watched him perform I just didn't get the potential. Apparently judge Nicole does.



So here we are last night watching X Factor as it broadcasts live and it's Dexter's turn to perform. I do not know what happened on my TV screen. It was strange, outdated and unmoving. Yet, when it came time for judging and letting go, judge Nicole fretted about who to dismiss from the competition. Seriously?



Let me tell you that Miss Bball Girl also has made decisions early on. She decided right away that she liked him. When I asked why, she replied that he is homeless, living in his care and that is just not right. So, with that background information on him she was instantly sold that he deserved to be a winner. And as a fan, Bball Girl hasn't tolerate any of my criticism of his performances. While we awaited judge Nicole's decision I glance over at my girl and her fingers are literally crossed in hopes that this guy will win. Seriously?



If you watched you know that he got cut. He was "shocked," he said. And my girl? Devastated. She cried. Huge crocodile tears. Over Dexter Haygood's loss. I asked that sweet thing why she was so upset. Somehow through blubbering tears she managed to convey that he will have to go back to his car and will have no food, no job. He's pulling his clothes out of his trunk, mom!" she wailed. Wow. Oh, this girl, if anything SHE is the "L" Factor. Being that her actual name starts with L, she has got that "it" factor, what all of us human beings need. Pure, unbridled compassion. I would say she is destined to be a CEO of a world peace organization, but she is a hands-on, living-in-the-jungle, changing-the-world kind of girl. Seriously.

And isn't my attitude just like the rest of the world? Lacking compassion or vision to see this man as a winner? Just like us humans, sometimes, unable to see the value and potential in others. So, as her uncompassionate, jaded mother, I sit there like "Are you kidding me? This guy should win a five million dollar prize? Look at him?" Don't get me wrong, when she fell apart I comforted her, hugged her and tried to explain to her that he will be fine. I believe he will. "He's been on TV, people have seen him," I try to convince her. "He can get work now." Someone will pay that guy to sing somewhere. I tried to reassure her that he won't be living out of his car anymore, but she wasn't having it. Was down right insistent that this was a tragedy.

That thing that the world is largely missing, an honest desire to see suffering end, is her natural state of being. She hurts when people hurt. I wish I could bottle and sell that! Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment