Monday, October 10, 2011

Use Time, Do Something...

My faithful readers, you know that with four children, all actively involved in sports, there is very little free time in our home. Even with Oldest gone off to college, we have three on sports teams, three enrolled in school with related activities and requirements and two full time jobs to work between the Hub and myself. So, simply stated: we're busy. On those precious, rare weekends when there is an interruption to the Saturday sports schedule, I do a virtual leap of joy. As I prepare our home calendar and see that weekend approaching, a delightful little smile creeps across the corners of my mouth. Yay, for Columbus Day weekend!

This particular holiday weekend my darling older sister came with her girls for a visit. It was a delightful time and she gets huge kudos for taking the plunge and making the drive. I, on the other hand, never seem to make time to drive out of town anywhere. I know that big sister of mine has a crazy, busy schedule too, so I have to say, I'm so pleased she makes time to come visit me every few months or so. She's a good girl.

This happy little weekend I had been invited by my lovely evangelist-friend Rev. Lois Bright, to attend the Women's Day Conference at her church. This little delightful place: http://www.montclairtab.org. Now seeing as how this church is about 45 minutes away from my house, and it was a holiday weekend approaching, I wasn't 100% sure this was a trip I wanted to make. I have blogged to you consistently about my early-morning Saturdays and I still have yet to see one this Fall season where I got to set that alarm for later than 7am. Not a complaint, just an accurate stat. I prayed about whether I wanted to give up my holiday Saturday. No sports games, no activities...not even invited to any kid birthday parties. This particular Saturday would be a freebie. You know those are rare. And then there's always the chance that you will regret attending an event such as this. The speaker could be bad, the food could be tasteless and the atmosphere could be godless. You just never know, when it's not your home church or an environment you are familiar with, you are running the risk of regretting your long-distance travels to attend. Been there, done that.

Yet, knowing my friend, one of the guest speakers, I knew she wouldn't disappoint. I knew her sermon would be on point and I would enjoy listening to her, if nothing else. So I gathered up some of our church lady friends and we committed to going. Boy, what a decision we made. It was a delightful day. Shout out to the Montclair Tabernacle Church of God folks. What a delightful day. The sessions were tremendous. The speakers for the sessions get my applause (hooray, Jomarie!) and I happily confess, I learned things I can use. The morning and afternoon speaker (this lovely lady: http://www.sharonglasgow.com, and my friend Rev. Lois Bright) were fabulous. I mean, fabulous. They provided wisdom, an on-time message from God and encouragement much needed. This was a Saturday much worth the sacrificial drive down to Dumfries.

Just as God designed it, when we get poured into, we are to pour out to others. God poured into these lovely ladies, they shared their gifts and talents with us, and I'm pouring out to you to encourage you to make a sacrificial decision, sometimes. I could have stayed home on Saturday, slept in and been alright with that decision. But I am oh-so glad I didn't. Sometimes life presents you those "maybe" situations where you can convince yourself you just need to rest. Pray about it. Perhaps God has a blessing for you that you can't even get an inkling of an idea about until you try it. If I had my way I wouldn't drive 45 minutes to attend an all-day women's event on an otherwise peaceful and relaxing day.

But friends, I can not lie to you. I would do it again if I could. Nothing can take away the encouragement and fellowship we experienced. If I had decided not to go I wouldn't have received the spiritual food that filled my little old heart to overflowing. Find and take advantage of those opportunities to be blessed! Your blessing will in turn allow you to bless someone else. And if each one of us, receives our full cup and turns around and pours it out to someone else who needs it, whew, child...what a wonderful world this would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment