Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tim Tebow'd Up...


A few posts back I blogged about my favorite sport to watch: football. I mentioned some players that I liked in discussing my dilemma over not having a favorite "team" to align myself to. In light of recent media coverage I have realized that I left out my very favorite player, Tim Tebow. In my defense, I was working off memory (which we know is damaged from overload of kid-business) from the previous day (and night's) football game-watching. That said, I want to divert my attention and yours back to Senor Tim.

The Hub pointed out to me that last week the Broncos replaced their starting quarterback with their back up, Mr. Tebow, mid-game, bringing the Broncos from a huge deficit to almost winning the game. And so, with that my man Tim comes back into the limelight. I first heard of Tim for his college performance on the field and as he got drafted to the NFL, I became a fan. Any person who is vocal about his faith, using the platform God has granted him wins my heart, hands down.

Let me tell you about Tim...He's not afraid to life out loud for Jesus. Raised as a Christian, this boy's mama and his papa taught him well. Missionaries and, at the time of his mother's pregnancy with Tim, pastors, his parents were faced with the doctor-recommended choice of an abortion in light of pregnancy complications and the likelihood of Tim's birth defects, if not being stillborn. Despite the report given by medical professionals, his parents, people of great faith, believed the report of the Lord. That's a reason to praise the Lord right there. They prayed, and decided the Lord had a plan. A special plan. His name is Tim.

Mr. Tim, ranked among the top quarterbacks in the nation as a high school student, he went on to have a fabulous college football performance, and was a top pick in the NFL draft of 2010. And this is where Tim and I meet. Well, in my mind, we've met. I'm drinking the Tim juice, friends. I stand as a fan, especially in light of his scripture notations on his face each game, and his impressive "GB2" motto (God Bless + Go Broncos). I'm not a Broncos fan, but friends, I am so excited that God has opened the door for Tim to shine. He's been faithfully waiting in the wings for his opportunity to get out on that field, and next game for the Broncos, Tim is the starting quarterback.

Never be ashamed to shine for God. He's going to give some amazing platforms and if we speak of Him in hushed, private tones, or only inside the church doors, are we really doing our job representing Him? For Tim's bold, brave faith, I am a true fan. My prayer as a parent is that whatever platform God gives my talented children, they use that platform just as Tim has. He has a story to tell and he is telling it. This week I joked on my facebook status that I was buying a Lions jersey, and jumping on their bandwagon of fans since they are having such an incredible comeback story. Did you know they haven't been 5-0 since the 1950's? Who doesn't love the underdog story? Go Lions!!! That said, I might just have to don a Broncos jersey. I wish their team colors weren't quite so awful. Who willing wants to wear bright orange? I may not be able to convince myself to wear the colors, but I'm for sure preparing to watch, and root loudly for, Tim Tebow. Check him out... http://www.timtebow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment