Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy 60th Jos

Not trying to put my mama out there and broadcast her age to the world. But in light of this weekend's festivities, it's completely necessary. My dear sisters and I, and our husbands and boyfriend put together the neatest surprise party ever. My dear mama, sweet as she can be, had a full morning of manicures and pedicures and was breathing those deep sighs of satisfaction as we trotted on over to her house. She was, to say the least, completely surprised. So much love and good feelings in that air. It was really sweet. The food wasn't bad either.

It was especially nice for me to see people I hadn't seen in a long, long time. Like the CPS worker who once investigated us in a situation with Oldest, prior to our having custody days, when his mama was, oh...let's just say not a happy camper. So neat to see her, and say "hey, you wouldn't believe how great Oldest is doing!" And to see my other "big sister". The big sister of my best friend who died when she and I were just young middle schoolers. I could have sat with her for hours and just thrown memories out on the floor one by one. Picked each one up and turned it around; studied it from every angle. Fascinating. But, alas, time was not on my side. And to sit with my crazy niece who is me in a much more beautiful package and hear her rant and rave, in her description manner that only she and I (and maybe Baseball Chick) have the gift to do. It's like watching a home video of me. I've always been me so while it's interesting for me to watch this girl do her thing, for those who have known me since I was her age, it must be like deja vu. or maybe just creepy.

I must, however, recap Friday night's football game for ya. If you're my facebook friend, then you should know that Chantilly now stands a tall 5-0. It's so neat to see these boys have this season in front of them. I can remember way too many youth football games when Oldest was given the secure position of Left Bench. And many, many games when he didn't see 1 minute of playing time. Not one minute. So here we are Friday night, at Hayfield in Alexandria and we're thinking this will be a tough one. It became clear very early on these referrees were on dope. Seriously doped out. I'm kidding, of course. They weren't really under any influence, except the influence of bitterness. We couldn't figure out why we were getting flags left and right. Literally every other play was a flag. Those of us fans in the stands had a few choice words to say. From our perspective all we could see was the referees kept throwing a flag and then taking 2 or 3 minutes in a huddle like they were deciding what the penalty would be. It was certainly frustrating.

The inside scoop goes like this: Pre-season our coach apparently black-balled at least 2 of these referees from ref'ing his games. Whatever the history and basis for that move, I don't know. So here we are Friday night with 2 refs that know they have been ousted from our friendship huddle. They were thinking payback time. A teammate of Oldest's informed him that a few times he walked by the ref huddle to see what was going on...and heard one ref say "I saw this..." and another ref say "What? When? I didn't see that." And that is pretty much how the night progressed. But, even with that ridiculous drama our boys were unstoppable. Final score 24-6. Oldest did not play as his coach was concerned about him getting re-injured. You already know Oldest is not happy about this and is working diligently to get back into action.

As far back as we can think and research Chantilly has never had a 5-0 season of football. This Friday: Robinson. Can we make it 6-0? I believe we can. I believe we can. Let's Go Chargers.

No comments:

Post a Comment