Friday, October 22, 2010

Sigh...

I want all you moms out there to sigh with me. Ready...sigh...If you didn't do it on cue, you will soon...I drop Youngest off at school this morning to the sounds of his rattling on about how excited he is to be doing the Fun Bus today. That's a converted school bus that pulls up in front of his daycare every Friday to zap my pocket of twelve bucks and let him play crazy inside. Went to sleep dreaming about it, he said. Dreamt the bus took off and he was doing "whatever he wanted" inside. I call this a nightmare, but he says "dream."

Today is also toy day. Youngest brought a motorcycle and a guy to ride the motorcycle and a dinosaur. Nothing spectacular but as we entered the room and a fella from across the table spotted Youngest's toys, they apparently were perceived as exactly spectacular. "Oh! I have that same guy at home," he says as he approaches to come closer. And here, friends, is where I insert my sighing behavior. Youngest, in all his four years of wisdom and perception, glances at the friend and back at me. I lean in to give him my usual hug and kiss and he pulls back and says "s'up." As if he is the coolest cat that ever walked.
Again he looks at his buddy, who clearly is oblivious to Youngest's apprehension, "Mom! No way. Totally not cool." And then seeing my...um, let's see...terror, horror, panic, confusion..."Okay fine," and proceeds to give me the most pitiful hug you've ever seen in your life.

I could have sworn I had a few more years before he was self-conscious about hugging his fabulous mother in front of his friends. He's 4 for goodness sakes! I already know that Youngest's intelligence and perception skills are way beyond that of a four year old so I shouldn't be surprised. Not surprised, but definitely sighing...

Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment