Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Scrimmage Success

Last night we had the distinct privilege of attending Chantilly's first scrimmage of the season. Does it matter that the team scrimmages itself? Well, come now friends. Not if you are a Chantilly Charger it doesn't. I suppose that if you are outside of this reality it make seem a bit odd to get excited over something so internal and silly. But, isn't that the fun of being part of a team, or a fan of a team? I am definitely that. Did I pay much attention to the other three's tireless boredom pleas. Nah, not so much.

Oldest is 1st string O line. For my non-football speaking friends that simply means he's in the group that goes out to play first, as in the top/best players on the team and he play on Offensive line. Now don't get crafty and ask me what position he plays because that may simply be beyond my knowledge of understanding. I asked Oldest to explain to me some very simple stuff the other day. I am hoping that since this season is such a big deal to him I might actually cheer and clap at the right time. That being dependent on understanding the game, naturally. Which I can tell you now, is not where I am. BUT! I am working on it and I do want to learn it. I am capable of some complex things so surely I can get the gist of this thing.

Well friends, despite my asking Oldest wouldn't budge. Tells me it would be a waste of time for him to explain it to me because I wouldn't get it. This from the kid who seeks me out for the simplest of "complex" things he has to do in his 17 year old life. I love that he thinks I can't comprehend the game of football. I mean, I haven't figured it out yet and I was a cheerleader in high school and have been going to his games since he was 7. But, friends, that's not the point. Surely I was distracted from focusing and understanding. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Hub gives me the same response that Oldest did when I have asked him to explain to me. What's a gal to do.

I do want to tell you that I can remember cheer leading and not knowing what the plays meant. That should be a mandatory lesson as part of the cheer leading practice. It seemed that everyone around me knew what was happening, but I clearly didn't. So I cheered when they cheered; clapped when they clapped. And like all things in life, you can't fake it 'til you make it. Because here I am, umpteen years later and not a football scholar am I. Now, that said, I plan to get better this season. I still have Youngest to see through those priceless youth football days.

The scrimmage itself went very well. The boys looked pretty good. Ha! I say this after telling you that I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'll keep you updated as the season rolls along. I know how to read a scoreboard and that's all that really matters. My boy got a few sacks and was doing big things out there. He came home looking like he had been hit by a mac truck. He barely could walk up the steps. We did have to make a cleat purchasing run to the sports store, at which we were delighted to find a middle aged store employee who delighted himself in putting Oldest on the spot. I suppose Oldest set himself up by not having the energy to change out of his uniform. But regardless, you gotta love a grown man who thinks he has to call a kid out about playing football. He talked way too loud. I mean, who's attention was he trying to get? And friends, HE was the grown up working at a sport store, giving Oldest the third degree about colleges and playing time and 1st string or 2nd string and positions and performance, and some sort of "Alright, you better do something out there. I'm going to come check out your games." And no, friends, we do not know this man. At all. When we walked away Oldest summed it up pretty well, I thought: "okay, loser grown man harassing kids. Dusch bag."

Oldest has another scrimmage on Friday night. Now this is when the Friday Night lights fever will really begin to set in. The Hub and I feeling the heat rising. The rest of the kids look at us like we're crazy but you know we don't care. And did I mention that at the scrimmage yesterday Youngest so no less than 3 teenage girls that are fans of his. I suppose they didn't see the rest of us. He is the cutest thing walking, and thus, all that matters, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment