Monday, August 9, 2010

Fun, Fun

Saturday was our annual church picnic, folks. I posted my thoughts pre-picnic on facebook, by stating my prediction of a jolly-good time. And friends, it was so much fun. The shelter reservation was in a supreme location. Even though my thoughts of kickball were dashed by some way-too-serious soccer players. I would have run them off "my field" but, um...there were about 30 of them playing a serious game of soccer. So I let them be. Instead we enjoyed really great food and had some friends and family come from several hours away. We had some of our regulars from church and some new friends too. All in all, it was a jolly-good time.

I think I must say that the impromptu volleyball game was the greatest. As the self-appointed spokesperson for the losing team, two "games" in a row, if you can call them that...I will say that the teams were uneven. The other side seemed to consistently have more people than we did. Seemed the heads just seemed to multiple over there. Being the tough-it-out gals that we are, we hung strong.

The killer was the other team's ace in the hole...let's call him "surprise". Surprise is this 11 year old, quiet, came-from-out-of-town kid that rocked us! The kid spiked the ball and I'm telling you not one of us on our team could do anything but pick our jaws up. He was pretty good. I kept trying to get him to sign on with us but he just wasn't having it. In retrospect, I will save face for our team by saying we did the honorable thing by taking the children to our side mercifully and patiently.

Probably the funniest thing would be my increasing irritation with the Hub as he came off the grill and his socializing and took a spot on the team. Correct that- took over the team. Do you think it's possible the Hub could have done that. Took. Over. Folks. Played every spot on our side, dash here, dash there. In between laughing ourselves silly and fussing at him for trying to be the showboat-superstar, we lost. Truly, a fun, fun day.

There really isn't anything like friendship. Whether it's the connection between girlfriends, buddies, you and God, whoever it may be, it's actually priceless. We are two days past the event and the Hub and I are still talking about how much fun we had. What was so different this year than past? Well, mostly the good time you may or may not have is determined by the state of mind you are in. Who knows where I was last year, and I did have a good time, but this was soooo much better. Just real people, being people, enjoying each other's company and presence. Laughter is so good for the soul.

1 comment: