Tuesday, August 24, 2010

All Hail Sports Season

I simply must update you on the fantastical scrimmage Oldest had on Friday night. I do know fantastical is not even a word, BUT, so appropriate to encapsulate my excitement. Let me just tell you it was in Woodbridge, so it was a hike of a hike. Took ridiculously long to get there and we didn't arrive until half time. Despite that disappointing news, we sat down in the bleachers and were promptly informed of what a tremendous game Oldest had played so far. Neighbor-father told us that Oldest had at least two tremendous quarterback sacks and 2nd half commenced. He did, indeed, play a good game. We witnessed at least one additional sack and several that he was a prominent part of.

He has worked so hard for this one season; all that work is paying off. Football season ends in November and about that time last year, he began his incredible push towards senior year season. He did workouts and conditioning nearly every day of the week from November through June. I believe the boy said he had a 99% attendance record. When most boys were off doing other sports or lounging in the off season, Oldest was working his hardest. You know it too, you've seen the bulging muscles. As soon as June hit, the workouts and conditioning became official for the upcoming team and it got even more serious for Oldest. Now here we are in August, two-a-day practices and it is game time for this guy. He is so pumped. He says that a bunch of the boys are getting mohawks for the first game. Oh, goodness me.

Chantilly won that scrimmage about 20 to 7 or so. Strangely, the scoreboard stopped working right about half time. Both sides were set at 0 for some reason. When we arrived it was 20 to zip, Chantilly and the other team scored once I believe. At one point Baseball Chick asks me what the down marker was for. I just stared at her with that "did anyone hear her ask me that?" look. I am hoping none of the other parents picked up on my not answering her, out of a sheer lack of knowledge. With that experience behind me I decided to ask the Hub to give me simple explanations. I get the point, and the plays, pretty much. But I really couldn't say I understand the whole "down" system. Yesterday I asked for some assistance and the Hub joyfully pulled out some chalk on the driveway and gave me a good run through. I think now I could answer Baseball Chick's question. Loudly and proudly, if I had to.

We are truly looking forward to this season and hoping for the boys that they can win a state championship. Oldest says the coach says this is the best looking team he's had in awhile. "Doesn't he say that every year to you guys?" I say. Oldest says no. He played varsity last year and he hasn't heard the coach talk this way yet. So we are very hopeful.

On another note, we are getting desperate pleas for an additional soccer coach for Soccer Chick's season. Do these people know they really don't want me to coach? I really, truly wish I could take this on. I have the time, and the energy and the excitement for sure. But...hmmm. coaching? You have to really understand the game and the positions, or else what good are you? I fear I would cause more damage than good. I don't think I could survive a parent like the kind of parent that I am, on the sidelines, flipping out over my poor coaching job. I'm much better suited to only half way knowing what I'm talking about, from the sidelines. So, we're hoping someone will step up. The Hub surely doesn't have the time to fit it in, although I know he'd like to do it. We'll just be praying some other family has a parent that can do this for the girls.

Oldest has another scrimmage Thursday night. We are so pumped for this. The boys are pumped too. "Game time baby" is Oldest's walk around the house slogan. Well, that and "Rach, I'm hungry."

No comments:

Post a Comment