Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Be Still My Nerves!

Caution, caution!!! Teenage driver in the house. You know the one, Oldest. The one who moves slow as molasses for all things but football. The one who "forgets" to do his chores and his homework, and study, and...and...and. Yup. That one. That same one is the one who now all of a sudden wants to drive his siblings everywhere their adorable little hearts want to go. You know the scene: new driver = drive everywhere.

My post today is just to share with you how funny this human being is. He is full of catchy phrases and funny sayings that are not proving to be a big help when I'm trying to have my serious passenger seat driver face on. One of my favorites: my big guy is in the right hand lane and a car is merging into it. "Coming in hot Rach! They are coming in hot!!!" A delightful little way to express his slightly heightened anxiety at seeing that car come straight for his lane. Another chuckle comes from cars that change lanes, into his lane, oh, let's say 50 feet in front of him..."Oh! You! I can't believe you just did that!"

And never has this young man been more of a gentleman. Waving everyone in and in front of him. Do they care that it's because he needs to take his time and would rather they go then he have to figure out how to go himself? Oh, and a mini-crisis avoided at the mall yesterday. Grandma walking with her two grandbabies almost had a heart attack when he was "coming in hot" as she was in the crosswalk. "Break, break!", I'm telling him. Finally his ears open and he stops. That poor woman. I believe we scared her something bad. Don't worry, we were quite a distance away; nowhere near impact, but the fact that he wasn't slowing down surely rattled her a teensy bit.

I've been very brave. I only "drove" from the backseat once, much to the Hub and Oldest's strong dissatisfaction. In his defense, he's pretty good. I mean, who wouldn't want to stop 3 to 4 car lengths behind another car at a red light. Why can't we all do that? So, practice is us, anywhere and everywhere. To the store; to the mall; to the gas station. You remember that feeling. He's lobbying for the Hub to give him the Benz and get himself something else. I personally prefer my own car so I push to take that on our excursions but the Oldest hems and haws to drive that instead.

And as always, a little Youngest joy for you: Upon seeing his brother driving the car he says "I can't WAIT to get my license. Boy, I'm gonna drive this car. You watch mommy. It's gonna be so fast!" Yup, I believe that. I'll have to keep my reigns on that one. He's fearless. You do know that he sleeps with his arms folded behind his head, right? He really does. I'm gonna snap and post a picture for you one of these days. You can't appreciate it until you really see it. As if, even in sleep, he is stating "ahhhh, this is the life."

No comments:

Post a Comment