Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vacation Done

Well, now that vacation is done and I'm poised to write my latest update, I realize that I should have had a hand-held tape recorder or a mini-notebook to capture some of the finer points of our vacation. Alas, didn't have either and as a result, can't even begin to tell you some of the tremendous highlights of our trip.

One serious highlight was starting my vacation with a pit stop at mama's house. Nearly everyone from that side of the family was in one place at one time and an absolutely priceless photo was taken. This is a rare opportunity and I'm so blessed to have that photo to remember it. I have ordered it in an 8x10. This one's a keeper.

My latest discovery about my dear Youngest is that he has now decided he is smarter than everyone. I think we all kind of knew that already, but he has really played up his ability (he thinks) to manipulate his way to success. This could be big trouble in the future if he doesn't keep his head in good air. We have begun labeling his antics as the "unanswerables". Sometimes it's a question that we just have no answer to ("Why is my blanket blue and not red mom?"). And other times, it's his philosophizing that is just not normal for a 4 year old. Either case it just leaves me and the Hub feeling cross-eyed and looking puzzled. He's a funny one that Youngest. Only the future knows what is in store for a personality so unique and special.

All the Copeland kids are quite special, in fact. I smile and nod my head at other kids, but these kids of my own are the best. Oldest is so pumped about senior year football. When he talks about his football life I almost want to do a Jersey Shore fist pump from the floor up. It's that big of a deal. He's a Team Leader, he tells me. In the world of high school football, that's a pretty big accomplishment. Especially for an out-of-the-spotlight kind of guy like him.

Soccer Chick finished the season saying she was hanging her soccer shoes up for good. Ya'll be praying for her that she learns how to be taught, gracefully. It must be something to think you know everything. Registration time has come around and I presented her options to her, which included field hockey, lacrosse, soccer and baseball. Told her she had some time to think about it. No less than 30 seconds later, "I'll do soccer again." Ah, no surprise there. I do think eventually they may kick her off house league, if that's possible. At some point the disparity between her skill level and those of the girls who are let's just say are "alright" on the field will be huge. That's not bragging or anything, certainly not. I'm just saying...

Baseball Chick is lined up for baseball in the fall. And, to my extreme excitement she's going to play basketball in the winter season. I will be keeping you posted about this. You know she is the tiniest, most muscular 7 year old I have ever seen but that girl is good at some basketball. I think we may have a winner with that. It will probably be an all-girl team and I'm not so sure she will dig that too much. I'm hoping her love of basketball will surpass her need for hanging with the boys. AND, she is old enough to do track in the spring. I'm also really excited about this. I hope she falls in love with the sport, because the girl is fast as lightening.

And my dear Youngest is finally old enough to play a County organized sport. Soccer. I've been speaking with him from time to time over the last year and he has always stated "soccer is the dumbest sport ever." Hard to argue with that, if that's how he sees it. But, now the time to register is upon us. I asked him last night and told him to think about if he wanted to be on a team or not. This was his only option. Very quickly, "Okay mom. I'll do it!" As if he is doing the world a favor. What does he think he's LeBron or something?

So if you piece that all together you realize that in September we will have 4 kids in sports at one time. I knew this day was coming and am quite excited for it. Yet, it makes me feel sleepy too! I won't be able to say I don't know how to juggle. If that isn't juggling I don't know what is. Ya'll be praying for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment