Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Me O'Clock

Picture this...It's Friday night, the Hub is out of town for a short trip. He'll be back in a hot minute. Just so happens he will miss the Friday night festivities of hang out time, chill time, TV time, relaxing time. I am so geared up for Friday Night Lights! It's been quite some Fridays since I was home at 8pm. Who's home at 8pm on a Friday? Even I, who does not boast of a social life, am not home most Friday nights at 8pm. I need to connect with my NBC network buds on this one. And people, I have a senior playing Varsity football in September. I will be nowhere near a TV at 8pm. So, not cool. I do want to thank NBC loud and clear for putting those lovely episodes online the next day.

Back to Friday night...my preparation for the big show includes a cop-out on dinner. Pizza! and a rule-breaking affair: "Okay kids, you can eat dinner upstairs, on the floor in front of the TV. Everyone settled? Great! See you in an hour." I know, I know. Major mom-bust of a job there. But hey, it's only Me o'clock once per week. I get them all settled and head to my spot to get situated. I'm in a slight panic because getting everyone settled ran into about 8:03. Did NOT want to miss the first few seconds where they recap what happened last week. So rushing, rushing am I and as I get settled in and find the station I couldn't get the remote act right for a few anxiety-stricken minutes. Finally...NBC! :) Only to have my bubble bursted slowly and painfully as I discover the sad truth, FNL is not on this week. Some quite silly, quite ridiculous program is on in it's place. Oh, the disgrace!

What's a girl to do? I ate my pizza in despair and looked for a substitute. I settled for Wife Swap. People, I have watched this show before and although I have no problem admitting I enjoy a good reality show, this show is awful. I guess because I hold marriage in a very high regard, this show just bugs me. They take the polar opposites of women and set them up for disaster. On this particular disturbing episode we have ritsy etiquette teacher (etiquette teacher, producers, really?!?) versus mud-racing redneck. Guys, it was awful. Just painful to watch. Even I couldn't stomach it. I felt bad for both womena and even worse for each family that was being "highlighted". Folks, I was embarrassed for these families. To be on TV blasting all your goods doesn't always look so good. But, nonetheless, I tried. I gave it a really good try, seeing as how I was all settled for an hour of me o'clock and all. I honestly couldn't handle it.

I had The Notebook from Netflix so I popped that in instead. No one understands how or why I can watch great (and not-so-great) movies alone. I prefer it that way. I have some hard to please folks in my house. Tell me what you would do...watch a movie with critique addicts or watch alone and enjoy the show! That's why I watch alone. I did watch The Notebook and friends, it was great. Just great.

Now, the funny thing about this evening is I put the house back together again and all was well. Kids rested well and so did I. Not the me o'clock I wanted, but it sufficed. That is until 2 days later when the Hub tells the girls to clean their room and spots the paper plate on the floor. "Who ate up here?!?" I have never seen snitches snitch so fast! People, I was busted. There was nothing I could say in my defense. And although it wasn't really funny, I couldn't help but laugh all the way to trashcan. When you're really busted, you're really busted.

I always like to give you a great Youngest piece to finish my thought and start your day. Last night as the Hub and I headed out to meet a church member for coffee I tell Youngest, "you and your sister behave now, okay? No fighting." And Youngest in all his glory says "okay mom, no problem. I'm going to be one hundred fifty seventeen good". People...that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment