Monday, July 26, 2010

A Rare Gem of An Opportunity

My darling mother had a genius idea to take the girls home with her for the weekend. When my mind stopped doing backflips of "whoo hoo...could it possibly be???" I calmly decided this would be a superb idea. Don't get the idea that I don't adore my children...it's just a FULL household at all times. It is truly rare for more than one of the four to be gone at any given time. Now, Oldest, he tries to stay gone as much as possible. Occasionally, Soccer Chick has a pool date or some other friend activity out of the house. And never fails, that leaves Baseball Chick and Youngest spinning in circles from boredom. They act like they can't survive without being included in all of each other's fun times.

Yet, here we are Friday, faced with the possibility that both Chicks could travel out of town for more than a 2 hour window of time. What a priceless thought. I will get to spend quality time with Youngest, the house will be quiet, the girls will have a great time! THANK YOU MAMA! Now, if she blogged, this being Monday, she might not have the same response. She probably went to work just to get some rest. This may wind up being the first, and the last of such trips. In the event that might be true, let me just say we made the most of it. The house was so quiet. Well, after Youngest finished having his complete 20 minute meltdown after Grandma's car pulled away. Several times I went to check on him, sobbing, crying hysterically, sprawled across his bed.

Me: "Are you finished now?"
Youngest: "No! Not finished. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

And on he went. Very funny that he was able to compose himself enough to give me that determined response. Oldest wondered why I kept bothering to ask him. It's more of a hint than a question, was my theory.

Eventually the little guy pulled himself together. We talked about all the fun time he would have just him and mommy. After such fun time was thoroughly exhausted Saturday afternoon, he wondered when we were going to begin the spoken about "fun time". I had to give him a little talking to about being grateful and appreciative and not always wanting more. What he really wanted was his entertainment-his sisters-back home.

I was able to spend the quiet time in the house watching several movies that I have been wanting to see. Thank you Redbox! Dear John - loved it! :) I have a new superstar crush on Channing Tatum. Where has he been? Loved this love story. Liked it so much I watched it twice. And then we watched Shutter Island. Although I am sworn off scary movies, I thought the plot looked interesting. Hmm, now that I've seen it, let's say disturbing is more like it.

Sunday, the air conditioning had mysteriously gone out at the school we rent for church. During a heat wave, this is not so good. It was sweltering and trying to muster the energy to do anything other than breathe in there was a chore. Service was short and sweet. The Pastor let us know all about the "True Benefits" to having God in your life. Yes folks, it really is to our benefit in every situation we face. Thank God for God.

Somehow we survived the quiet in the house and imagined what life would have been like with only two children, with such a huge age gap in between them. I'll edit Oldest's response to the question:"do you miss your sisters?" by saying he replied with a hearty "YES!". That's my published version and I'm sticking to it. Youngest missed them terribly. It was like the boy was incomplete. Can't we all wish that we had that type of bond in our lives? When a piece of us is missing it's like a piece of us is missing.

I do hope my mother survived the weekend and is brave enough to recuperate and try again...someday. After all, Youngest, in all his intelligence, is definitely going to address this with her when he sees her. I can feel it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment