Monday, July 19, 2010

Happy Weekend

Did you catch that thunderstorm on Friday night? Perhaps you weren't close enough to be as jumpy as we were! Goodness. The final clap-blow of the night was a loud pop that sounded like it was inside the house. And seeing as how The Hub was out of town, and it was midnight, there was no way I was going to inspect a thing. That "pop" was pretty loud, but I decided to chalk it up to thunder directly over our head...outside the house of course.

Yes, it was so loud that all the kids came running. It was after midnight so they were all asleep. In fact, Soccer Chick had just come into my room to say how loud the rain and thunder was over her head. She was half asleep so I said "uh-huh" and sent her sleepy butt back to bed. No sooner than she got in there that "pop" hit the house, and they all came running. I do mean "all". From the Youngest all the way up to the Oldest. Have you ever been sitting nicely and had a 200 pound monkey jump up in your lap? That's what the Oldest comin' a runnin' felt like.

Let this be a lesson in "do not ignore things that shouldn't be ignored"! We woke up on Saturday to discover that loud "pop" was an Electrical Magnetic Pulse shot through the house, blowing out several electronic. The fairly new computer I inherited from Grandfather...brain dead. No juice left it in it's tiny boxy body. My modem...murdered. My router, plug-pulled. Let me recreate the loveliness of this situation for you...

Right away we discovered 4 of 5 tv's in the house had blown. They are getting power but no cable. One tv is still getting cable. Wouldn't it happen to be the one in my room. Result = everyone gets to hang out in my room to watch their shows. Let me tell you how ironically fabulous that is. So the cable guy's coming tonight to figure out what we blew up to result in none of the other tv's getting juice. We also knew right away that the new computer was brain dead. I just began transferring all my stuff from the old computer to the new computer this past week. Not even 7 days later I managed to blow that sucker to pieces.

Shortly there after we figured out the modem was a goner. 1st trip to Best Buy to replace the modem. After all the install and set up glory, internet still isn't functioning. Turns out the router was blown too. Now the router fooled me because it was still receiving power. Joke's on me. Power it may have but brain activity it did not. Into the trash she went too. 2nd trip to Best Buy to replace the router this time. Fancy-dancy router in hand, the majority of Sunday evening was spent setting that bad boy up. Now, I am happy to say $200 later we have a brand spanking new router and modem and the same old, slow, airline jet sounding computer.

Pray with me that the TV's are okay. We've had enough deaths in the family for this weekend. I don't think we can handle any more. A saving grace was the Oldest forgot to plug in his laptop to charge. Thank the Lord! It would have blown too. Praise God for forgetful kids. His flat screen tv? Well, that's on the prayer list to be resurrected when the cable guy comes tonight. I'm believing the problem will be simple and easy to correct. Everyone's tvs will resume life and they can resume their positions outside of my room and inside of theirs.

Just to sweeten the deal, in all my frustration over these cards being dealt to me, Youngest looks at me and reads my sadness. "Mom," he says, "I love you one hundred ninety sixteen." Yes people, that really does make it all better.

3 comments:

  1. sissie! oh my gosh. awful - i'm so sorry to hear this!!! umm...power strips? they are a must. for all of the televisions and computers :) they at least delay these deaths a little, i think. even though cute husband still makes me unplug everything...even if they are plugged into power strips and not directly into the walls...so that kind of defeats the purpose, but that's okay. maybe after three days these items will rise again? a miracle anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is true....but make sure they are surge protector power strips. I learned this the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FRIENDS! both computers were on power strips. what's a surge protector/power strip good for if it doesn't protect you? something I learned through all this: surge protectors need to be replaced every 4 years or so. They can go bad...

    ReplyDelete