Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Off They Go...

It goes without saying that Youngest was beside himself with excitement this morning. In fact, all three of the remaining under-age Copelands were pretty psyched. Naturally. The first day of school is pretty big in our house.

Yesterday at church, The Hub preached about going "Back to School." His focus was on our kids being prepared for the school year ahead. He preached a pretty clever living message, complete with some change in gear, to show how the "cool" kids go off looking to school, and some new sneakers to make sure he was looking fresh to death. Had his backpack, phone on his hip and the pants drooped down. His message emphasized that we parents need to get them spiritually ready too. Making sure they are clean on the inside is even more important than what's on the outside.

This morning, our get-ready routine was pretty calm. Of all of them, I think I might have had the hardest time. No, not what you think. I wasn't falling apart watching my baby get ready for school. I didn't get choked up as he puts on his new kicks, and put his shorts on backwards. I, personally, just seemed to be the one who had the typical "nothing is working right" kind of morning. I broke two hair bows, changed outfits twice and couldn't find the right shoes to save my life. I searched the same drawer no less than 4 times for a new hairbow and only on the 5th time did one magically appear. I'm blaming it on the rain. Once I got myself together I joined those lovely children in the kitchen where the awesome Hub had cooked them breakfast. I would say Youngest was delighted... "Aw, yea. Come to papa! Well, I don't even know who papa is but okay..." Youngest rambled as The Hub set a plate of eggs and pancakes in front of him.

The morning did kick off with The Hub's annual song "First Day of School." I so wish I had a sound bite for you. He has been singing this exact same made up song since Oldest started Kindergarten. This tradition of his has seen one child all the way from Kindergarten to the text message of "First Day of College" a few weeks ago. The song lives on. The kids know it's coming. So this morning we found them buried under their covers, thinking it was The Hub coming in to kick off his song.

The backpacks were all packed, lunchbox ready for Youngest. Lots of "do this" and "don't do that" pep talks. Mostly, Youngest just made faces at me like I was speaking Chinese. When I closed my speech with "be a good listener" he politely informed me "I prolly won't listen. I don't have that good of ears. What was that word you just said? See. Ha!" And with that he was thoroughly prepared to head to the bus stop.

As I tried to get us ready to stand in our family circle and share a word of prayer before we headed out, The Hub told me I was way early. "No! I exclaimed. You have to make sure we are there in time for the group picture!" Dead silence. "It's official," says The Hub, "you are a professional cornball."

No comments:

Post a Comment