Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Last First...

Last night = milestone. Took the three remaining Copeland gems out for back to school shopping. While you are rolling your eyes, thanking God you are not "last-minute" me, let me tell you the situation is worse than you think. Last night was only for the school supplies! I still haven't touched the clothing shopping yet. Ouch.

Our elementary school is one of the delightful little places where they offer pre-packaged, pre-purchased supplies for a great deal, at the end of the school year. We have consistently participated in this priceless opportunity for the past, oh, um, at least 4 years or more. This past Spring, my dear, sweet Soccer Chick gave me the run-around. "Mom! I'm starting 6th grade. I need to pick my own stuff." Crumbling easily under the pressure, we didn't do the pre-purchase this year. I am paying for that decision now.

So last night was the punishment. However, balancing that torture with it being the last time we are taking a soon-to-be kindergartner out for his first school shopping trip made it a milestone. We headed out last night to my favorite stomping ground, Target. Friends! If you simply MUST follow in my neglectful, procrastinating footsteps, avoid Target. They deeply disappointed me this year. Target is my everything. My shopping soul-mate. My every fulfillment is found in Target. Thought we would be together forever. Not this time. Empty, scattered and disorganized bins greeted us.

About the 5th time of circling the same empty bins, The Hub starts clowning me. "How many times, exactly, are we going to visit this same aisle?" Or perhaps it was the "did you say we sat in almost an hour traffic trying to get to Target because all the stuff you needed was here? I didn't hear you, is that what you said?" Straight clowning me.

To make it look like the trip made sense, I got a few select, scattered items in Target and headed on to Kmart. Probably my least favorite place to shop and sadly, closer to our home than Target. Yes, friends. Totally could have went there first and avoided gas-wasting, time-wasting and The Hub jokes. And, you can pretty much guess it right? Everything we needed was at Kmart. Isn't that ALWAYS the way?

Youngest was super excited to get his new backpack. The time it took to pick one out had to be similar to making a life-altering decision. This was, apparently, serious business. Youngest stopped, scratched his chin, held several up to the light to see them just right. Even with all that, he was still convinced that somewhere in the world he was missing out on something cooler. Eventually, with some waiting-depleted family members prodding him, he made a selection. Even as I tucked him into bed last night he wanted to make sure I knew that he liked his backpack, but not that much. "There are cooler ones at other stores, mom." To which this exceptionally sensitive mom replied "Go to sleep."

The girls got their items, including the ridiculously indecisive Bball Girl. Man, that girl takes a decision and makes it no less important than whether or not to begin World War 3. It is that serious. The Hub gently...gently "helped" her make her decision. Somehow, at least an hour later the supplies were purchased and we were out of the store. Success! Well, the second half of this show is the clothing shopping...

As these children prepare to board the bus next Tuesday I must confess to you that this year will be different. Each year I stand there as they board the bus and I gush over them in a mild kind of way. Lots of love but no sappy photos as some of my humorous neighbors like to do. Every year I laugh at them, under my breath of course. Those silly people! They are out here in pajamas, hair jacked up, haven't even brushed their teeth, telling their kids to pose and smile. And friends, since I am being brutally honest with you, this being the last "first" time I get to put a brand new kid on the bus, I will have my camera ready. I am strongly considering charging the video camera. I am ready for the interior "first day of school pictures" in our hallway, even if they protest and roll their eyes. Now that Oldest is gone, Soccer Chick is working hard to take his place in doing the "mom, puh-lease!" routine to just about everything I say. But, I don't care. I'm ready.

This year, I may even sing along to The Hub's annual "First Day of School" song. Whatever happens I am going to be brave. I will try not to cry. I will not make you any promises, however. Much like dropping off Oldest at college, this is a big one. My baby is getting on that bus and that is the beginning of the end. Oh, sigh...the beginning of the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment