Monday, September 19, 2011

Triple Header Weekend...

Friends! So excited to blog to you about our first fall sports weekend. As expected, and debated in the Copeland house, we had a triple header. Three games. One Saturday. No overlap. Just the way I like it. Now, you should know that The Hub gave me a terribly hard time about all three of these jewels playing a sport at the same time. But I negotiated, finagled and rationalized the fairness of each of them playing as a must-happen! And here we are, first Saturday of games and we survived. I will confess, by the time we got home, ole' girl here was pooped. But, never mind that, the fun news is the sports report.

Started off the morning with some baseball. As much as I was dreading the potential length of this one, I found myself surprised. My Bball Girl is playing double AA, and for the first game it was coach pitch. From what I hear, as we progress through the season we will be switching to kid-pitch and then my nightmare of never-ending games will present itself. But for this morning my only complaint would be the light rain and cold temps. Because we enjoy a good round of humor, we brought along The Hub's mom.

Dressed for weather below 0 degrees. My Mo-In-Law brought along an entire pack of oreo cookies and a jug of water. Yes, you remember correctly. I did say that this was our first game of the day. It was all of 9am. Once I got past having to set the alarm for 7am on a Saturday, followed by a nice piping hot cup of coffee, we settled in for what I thought would be a long morning. I was pleasantly surprised. Bball Girl's team played quite well. True, there was some players that left me shaking my head, but also a few who the Hub was crying "future Major League-er!"

The game was exciting with lots of quick play and very little dragging along. Thank goodness. On Bball Girl's first pitch of the season she smacked it down the center for a base hit. Holding on to her batting helmet she trotted down to first. A parent / neighbor from the opposing team sauntered over to ask us if she still runs like a deer. Hey, the girl has a reputation around these parts. We have coached her to let go of that helmet. It's slowing her down. Other exciting news for her would be the catch she caught at 2nd base for an out and her 2nd time at bat hitting a double. That time she ran like we knew she could, and thankfully, let go of the batting helmet. Her team pulled in the win 9-8, in under two hours. The day was starting wonderfully.

Quickly we moved on to the second stop of our three-legged Saturday tour. It was not until we parked on the soccer field and rushed out of the car to Youngest's first game that I had the sinking realization that his shin guards were at home. Not once the day before during my preparation time, or all morning while we ran around getting ready, did those shin guards cross my mind. How does that happen? So, we weighed our options and decided to go for the fake. We put those soccer socks on his bony little legs and hoped none of the coaches would notice. At his age they are playing four on four with no refs, so it was game on!

And yes, 5 and 6 year olds playing soccer ARE nothing but a traveling beehive of flailing legs, kids falling on the ground, believe it or not, some pushing and panicked looks of confusion. Since it was cold and rainy the unbearable soccer parents were kept at bay. The Hub and I joined them in sitting quietly on the side. No one noticed that my boy's skinny little calves looked a little more skinny than they should have. No surprise, like I said. Traveling beehive. Youngest's team lost 5-3. Two of those 3 goals came from Youngest. He says, "I could have gotten the 4th one mom. They pulled me out of the game!" Isn't that just always the way?

Once we finished up with our first round of baseball and soccer it was on to Soccer Chick's debut. This season we have a brand new coach for our team. I know you're disappointed but The Hub decided to take this season off. Much to the girls deep disappointment and sadness. Total. Kidding. In any case, we have the same squad as last season with a few new girls, and this new coach. From the looks of practices he has lots of soccer experience. In this debut game he put Soccer Chick on left defense. I was shaking my head from the time the clock started. She played defense alright, I guess, but it is definitely not her strength. She does have a powerful kick so she had some pretty good interceptions to send the ball flying back into our scoring zone. At some point she was moved to midfield and then we saw some more action. I loved her body block that sent the other girl stumbling and the ref said "play on!" She definitely came out to play aggressively and hustled her butt off. Sad to say, at the end of the day we ended with a 5-0 loss. 5-0. You read that right. Our defense is definitely our biggest weakness. Biggggggest weakness.

The highlight of that game would have to be the ref going off on one of our parents for a side comment about his lack of an offsides call. Oh man. That ref stopped the entire game and you could have heard a cricket chirp in a ditch 50 feet away. He was all of a sudden a very unhappy man. Following the game, the coach gave us the post-game talk, which included specific instructions to not piss off the refs. Coach asked us to please not mess with them and let the coaching come from him. Where was The Hub? Notorious for his side coaching, yelling and antics from the sideline? Well. He was working. He missed what he needed to hear. I relayed it to him, don't worry. But you think he will be fazed by that? Not a chance. Soccer Chick is already worried he will get her personally ejected from a game. :) Friends, its going to be a delightful season! Catch you up next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment