Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mom-Love

Surely there is someone in your life that you would describe as the absolute sweetest creature on earth. There are some people that are born with that genuine, instinctive desire to be helpful, look out for others and be all-around a caring person. That's my girl Bball Girl.

If you've ever met her you know she is so unique. She's got a lot of tomboy in her and just a pinch of girlie-girl. The girlie-girl part most people don't see. She is particular about her hair and she's become very perceptive of "cute boys" as she likes to point out all too much.

We often joke that she "overhelps." She wants to be so helpful sometimes it is over the top and winds up being not helpful. But even that makes her extra special. She's the middle child so she sometimes feels lost and unseen. I can promise you...and her...we see her alright. She's naturally athletic, excelling at any sport she tries. Even sports she doesn't like. The child is built like an Olympic gymnast or swimmer. And where, Lord, did that come from? Surely neither her dad nor I could boast of being all muscle and no fat. Not even in the prime of our youth.

I say all that to say that often...often...I come home from work to something so sweet from this little child's mouthpiece it just blows me away. She's the type to depart from me with adoration, "miss you"s and "mom, you're so awesome. How could I live without you?" type comments. Yesterday was once such day when I came home and the girl just awed me with her mom-love. I walk in from work to my pretty typical greeting at the door by Bball Girl and Youngest. Man, way to make a chick feel welcomed. They come running, big hugs all around. It is super sweet and reminds me that they missed me all day long. Okay, so it's 80% bored at home all day, but still they are happy to see me!

This particular day Ms. Bball Girl says "Mom, I've been thinking all day. I was thinking I would make a list of things I want to do with Mom when she gets home." Yes, friends, you and I are both thinking the same thing at this moment. Last thing mom wants to do is anything when she gets home from working all day. Especially when they have been home storing up that energy and resting, waiting to pounce on me when I get in the door. Oh boy...I thought, here it comes.

She whips out a piece of paper, labeled: "Things I Want To Do With Mom", and the girl has her pencil ready. "I was thinking," she explained. "That when you come home I want to do some things with you." She begins writing and friends, her list went like this:

Read: check when done
Take a nap: check when done
Massage mom's feet: check when done
Massage mom's back: check when done
watch TV: check when done
Check mom's email: check when done

I will give you a minute to indulge yourself with a chuckle at what my evening schedule usually looks like. The massages were unusual and part of her desire to have this special evening with mom. With her little boxes drawn on the page, she and I literally did each of those things and as we did them she checked them off. Her seriousness about the tasks ahead of her was simply heartwarming. She literally read with me, waited for me to take a "nap", which amounted to closing my eyes for about 3 seconds before she said "okay, NEXT." and moved on to the foot massage.

She was diligent and efficient and oh-so-serious about accomplishing her list. Is that not adorable? What did I ever do to deserve something so sweet in my life? If God wants to make sure that I don't forget how special I am to Him, He for sure gave me this little treasure of a girl as a reminder. She makes my ego boom. When this old chick thinks she is getting old, fat and hair is out of whack, here comes Bball Girl with some adoration I couldn't pay someone to give.

So we completed her list and as we went through each item I reflected on how very special she is. How I could have offered to PAY one of my other little charmers and they might have done a quarter of the job she did with way less effort and no genuine desire to actually do this with their mama. Yet, I am happy to say there was no ulterior motive, no money exchanged hands, no promise of "you owe me something at 5 Below..." Just a sweet girl who loves her mama.

If you don't have one of these in your life you are missing out! I wish I could clone her for you. My best advice would be to make friends with her. I know a lady who is blessed enough to feel some of that sweetness come her way. And what did she do to deserve it? Just have a cute son who's buds with my sweet Bball Girl. Well, and the cost of her friendship, or "stepmom" status as Bball Girl likes to say, is Bball Girl has her phone number...and she knows how to text...Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Finally catching up on your blog...this one brought tears to my eyes. Definitely blessed to know and be loved by her :)

    ReplyDelete