Monday, August 15, 2011

Countdown to Gone...

Friends, the time is upon us. Not sure if you have been keeping track in the back of your mind. Sort of thinking, you knew this was coming but hadn't really realized the time had arrived. That's sort of how I have been. End of August would come sometime. Oldest would have to leave for college sometime...

The last two weeks have been "get ready for college" mode. Oldest is going through his stuff, figuring out what's going and what's staying. Lots of pre-packing. As in thinking about it, but not really doing anything. You know, 18 year old boy method. Just the way us moms like it. Although I say that, I must admit, this has so far been rather stress free. No anxiety and demands about what has to be done. Everything seems to be coming together smoothly.

How's he feeling you wonder? He says he is very excited, doesn't know what to expect, really, anxious about the change in environment, meeting new friends, finding things to do, sad about leaving home...all that normal stuff.

This morning that sweet boy got up extra early to take me to breakfast. He'd been saying he wanted to do it before he left. He wanted to make sure we had some alone time just to say thanks, without saying a word. You know those moments. It was a very special bagel and coffee, friends, let me tell you. The boy even paid. And you know that made it a milestone.

I didn't cry either. I know you are likely thinking I did. I waited to get my first round of teary-eyed syndrome for my drive to work. Reflecting back on this sweet breakfast and how Friday, move-in day, is right down the calendar from today, and I got choked up. I've been doing so well up until now, I really thought this was going to be okay. Even visiting the school, doing student orientation I managed to be mama-brave. I mean, completely composed and put together. As today is Monday and Friday is 4 more days from now, I'm thinking this is going to be way harder than I thought.

Alas, the time has arrived and Oldest is about to go. I'm happy to report he has a plan. Spend this year at this small school, training and lifting weights, learning the college ropes and doing well in school and next year being a walk-on tryout for West Virginia University's football team. This August is the first August since he was 7 years old that he wasn't practicing for football. Although at the end of the season last year, he welcomed the break, he now realizes how much he misses it in his life. He went from literally throwing his cleats in the trash, thinking he would never play football again (don't get me started on the lecture I attached to that discovery), to setting his own personal goal of using this year as complete training, lifting and bulking up for next year.

Without our own love of football influencing his decision, I am happy to say that I love to hear him say he has set a goal. I can tell you that when he sets his mind to something that is it. He is very strong-willed and determined to follow through.

So, friends, here's to a great year! Four days from now we will be heading to the great state of West Virginia. I have no idea if it is actually great, but it is the start of something great for Oldest. We're so proud of him, so sad it's time for him to go and so ready for him to experience this time in his life. Here's to a great first year at college!

No comments:

Post a Comment