Thursday, February 24, 2011

Encouragement

Friends, last night at our small home group we discussed Chapter three of the book of Hebrews. Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 inform us of Jesus' place in God's ranking. Chapter 3 talks a bit about how Jesus compares to the role of Moses, but towards the end the author wants us to think about our role as Christians in encouraging one another and encouraging ourselves to keep our hearts right with God.

As our group explored this last night, I found myself encouraging them to encourage someone else. I asked them if they could honestly say that each day they do at least one thing to encourage someone else? No one, not even I, could say that every single day this happens. On an almost daily basis I try to put some encouraging words here, and here. But I miss a day or two every now and then. I do like to reach out to others and tell them something that will hopefully put a smile on their face. This is exactly what Hebrews Chapter 3 is telling us to do.

Look out for one another. Be of the mindset to help someone. A stranger or your best friend, either or both. Fix your mind on the plan to be a blessing to someone in some way. It's sweet when it comes for free and without attachment. Just because...Life very easily bogs us down and pulls us away from a relationship with God. Circumstances can be discouraging and often frustrating. Our faith in God should keep us charging forward, but realistically sometimes we get tired and weary. That's where our friends, loved ones and even strangers come in. Be the one to encourage someone else. Send a card; text a happy thought, say hello, hold a door open, do something. One of my favorite things to say to my kids is "look for a way to make a difference in someone's life today." They give me the cheesy mom look, but nevertheless they hear me say it over and over.

Just so I know they are listening God gave me some encouragement the other day. I said my line at the end of the day, asking Bball Girl if she made a difference in someone's life. And she said no, she didn't think she had. Not a few minutes later her sister walked in and stated that her dear, sweet little sister had received her twentieth "bear paw" of the year. "How many of those things do you get?!?" This is a reward certificate given out to students that are caught doing something that honors the school's standards of student excellency. In this case, Bball Girl had assisted a special needs student in her class, without prompt or request by an adult. "See," I told her, "you certainly did make a difference in someone's life." The blessing in this is I had to show her that is what she had done. To her, she was just being herself. A person who will instinctively help anyone out, without being asked.

She's got the helpful gene. Good news is it's contagious. Catch it from her and absorb it yourself. Make a difference. Be encouraging. Love one another as God loves each one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment