Monday, September 20, 2010

Weekend Update

I had to change this week's blog title just a smidgen. We had a little, teeny tiny birthday party that was big enough to exhaust the best of us, thrown in the middle of all our planned sports events. It was a marathon weekend to say the least. If ever I wanted to know what I was made of, I figured it out this weekend. Pure stamina and staying power. I survived over 10 kids ages 4-10 in a backyard moonbounce. Red, flushed faces, smelly, sweaty bodies and pure kid-fun. Now if you can handle that, you're with me!

Let's back it up a bit. Oldest had to sit out of this week's game. Sore as he was about that predicament, he was able to stand on the sidelines as his team took West Potomac easily. Another victory for Chantilly. 3-0 is our season standing right now and friends, we're looking good for a playoff spot. Wouldn't it be divine if this team took a state championship this year? A team that many thought would not be able to carry it's own and this would be a training year at best. Turns out, they are a pretty good squad. They seem to work well together and the whole team has a lot of heart. As the Hub would say, football is won and lost depending on the state of mind of the players.

This week is Homecoming. Oldest is determined to be cleared by the doctor and to be out on that field representing his team. While several young ladies are requesting to wear his Homecoming Jersey, Oldest has taken his sweet time making a decision. "You want to wear it Rach?" Now, heart aflutter, friends. He is a mama's boy indeed. I have managed to play it cool and offer a "sure, if you want me to." in response.

Soccer Chick has been terribly under the weather these past few days. Even that couldn't stop her from being ready for her soccer game. Or so she thought. Poor thing, 2 minutes into the game, she makes an attempt, the ball hits the goal post and bounces off and a coughing spell hits her. She can't stop coughing and starts throwing up on the field. That's it, friends. No more soccer for her this morning. I, meanwhile, am at Youngest's soccer game. When I arrive to Soccer Chick's location, she is rested and "ready" to get back in the game. Coach won't let her (smart man) so she sits on the side, seriously not happy. Good news is the girls played hard and fought for a comeback to tie the game at 2-2. Overall record now stands at 0-1-1.

Baseball Chick had her game, pre-birthday party festivities. She's not quite jelled to this team yet. She has some acquaintances but you can see that she's not got any "buds" on there. She struck out twice. (The pitching machine is set too fast, says the Hub). And on her birthday none the less. She did hit a single and because she's so fast, there was no way 1st baseman couldn't have touched her. Overall, she seemed disinterested. Could it be? Friends, could we be parting with our love of baseball. Oh, gasp! I'll be so heartbroken...

Youngest. Ah, Youngest. What a package of fun and entertainment. I must confessed I set up a bribe for him. After last week's dramatic hand gestures and foot-shuffling on the field. I informed him that if he didn't play in the game he wouldn't be able to participate in the snack afterwards. I realize that this is like telling a fish he can't have water, but friends, I had to make it plain. The boy responds to food. Hey, it seems logical to me. If you don't play, what would you need a snack for? I know, my conscious felt a tiny bit bad about the setup...but not really.

Needless to say Youngest did his thing. He's fast, just like Baseball Chick. He dominated the ball and did score a goal. Because he is such a package of entertainment there were still hand gestures and facial expressions through the entire event. Now, that's what's funny. This kid was running and playing his heart out and yet, he has these hysterical looks on his face when the ball would get kicked away, or when his team scored a goal. I know they don't keep track in pee-wee soccer, but for the record, my record, his team won 6-2. There is another player on his team about 6 inches taller and I must confess, this young man scored about 4 of the 6 goals. However, Youngest did great. My favorite moment of the game: Coach crouches down to address his 3 on 3 squad with a game plan before a kickoff. Youngest, in all his seriousness, reaches over and places a hand on the man's shoulder. As if to say, "yeah, Coach. I'm in. Let's do this!" Even his serious moments are hysterical. And needless to say, Youngest got every bit of that snack. He certainly earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment