Monday, September 13, 2010

Weekend Sports Update

We tried to recover from the devastating blow on Friday night to our man Oldest. He spent the weekend trying to come to grips with facing his circumstances. Let's just say he's not happy.

Soccer Chick kicked off her soccer season by traveling to Warrenton to be whipped up on by some big girls. 3-0 for a season opener! I will say that Soccer Chick had about 5 pretty nice attempts, one of which went just to the right of the goal post. Another was a sure thing, kicked from pretty far back with a lot of power, going straight into the goal right above the goalie's head, no way she could block it. At the last possible moment she put her hands up, more to shield her face than to block the ball and the ball hit her hands and flew over the back of the goal. Soccer Chick was amazed, as were the rest of us, we thought she had that one. She was a bit frustrated with with performance of her team, particularly one lovely child that kicked the ball directly toward their goal. Let's just say I bit my tongue as much as possible and showered that girl with lovely thoughts.

Baseball Chick had her first practice of the season and although I was on travel with Soccer Chick, the Hub reports that Miss Baseball Chick showed off. She hit the ball farther and harder than her teammates. Now, I dare not get into bragging mode so I'll just say she is going to have a great season. She's super excited about it. Me too...welcome back two hour long games...I've missed you!

Youngest. Ah, Youngest. The boy is a natural born box of entertainment. The Hub found himself getting a little worked up...okay, a lot worked up...behind this boy's first soccer game. Thankfully the coach's wife is a co-worker of the Hub's and was able to playfully tell him to calm himself down. I'm sure it was more like: "haha. But seriously though. Calm down!" It was his first game after all. He started out gung-ho, fired up. Scored a goal in the other team's goal. To which the Hub expressed his "calm" explanation and apparently Youngest throws his hands up in the air and launches an: "Ahh, C'mon!" with his best New Yawker accent possible. For the remainder of the game he putted around, not chasing the ball, in "shy" mode. I'm anxious to see what Game 2 brings.

All in all, and emotionally exhausting weekend. We're all so upset for Oldest and his terrific season being interrupted. And I have decided that Soccer Chick does not listen to me from the sidelines. I am confident that my directions are clear and correct, yet she doesn't heed them a bit. After Saturday's game I have decided I won't be spending this season getting all worked up and being ignored. Of course, I could have volunteered to coach if I wanted to shout directions, but that wasn't what I had in mind. I just want her to do what I say. Who can't understand that? I'll continue to cheer for her, but I'm thinking I'm done with the coaching tips. I'm going to play mellow mama from now on. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment