Friday, September 17, 2010

Character

Chantilly has done it again, friends. I'm so excited at the way this season is shaping up. They now stand at 3-0, having played very well at every one of those games. Last night's game was a "no-show" for us as we attended back to school night for Soccer and Baseball Chick. We were fortunate enough to come home and listen to the 4th quarter through the awesome website http://www.gamedaymagazine.com/. Far away friends, it's worth the membership fee for a couple days pass to listen, occasionally watch and definitely read what Chantilly is doing over there.


Chantilly took West Potomac for a 35-16 ride. Nicely done boys. This morning Oldest filled me in on his moment. Let me just tell you, the fact that he doesn't read my blog allows me to share with you the details of his pre-game pep talk. You already know Oldest is out, for thankfully, and hopefully, just one game...last night's game. As he sat in the locker room with the team preparing their minds for the victory, he started to cry. Now, lest you think he is "soft" (he would be quick to prove to you he's not), football just does something to a teenage boy. He is definitely moved by football. As a coach saw him sitting there, unable to play this game, he suggested that Oldest address the team.


Let me tell you, Oldest is not an "address" anyone type of guy. He has had a lifelong struggle with stuttering and has worked extra hard to overcome it. As you may know, even if you can control your weakness, doesn't mean you aren't self-conscious about it. So...public speaking is pretty much out. In this case, Oldest was so moved, he did it. Here's the speech as he relayed it to me this morning:


"Team, I've worked hard for an entire year to get to this point. I've worked harder than probably anyone in here. And tonight I can not play. I have worked for this moment and I didn't know going into last week's game that I would get hurt. I want you all to win tonight. I want you to play hard. One play can change your life."


Are your eyes still dry? I kept my composure this morning. It was difficult, but he thinks I'm a straight up sap, so I did my best not to get mushy. Friends, you have to appreciate his quiet nature to know this was true character. Leadership skills emerge from the passion of a heart. Something he never thought he could do, he did beautifully. This, guys, is the heart of football.


Moving on to this weekend...birthday party for Baseball Chick. Can we all handle her and 8 other screaming 8 year olds? If I post on Monday then you'll have your answer. Pre-birthday party is a rack of sports games.


Youngest is beyond ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment