Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Legend Begins

As I close the chapter on my dearest Oldest's football days, I gleefully open a brand-new chapter on Baseball Chick's newest endeavor...basketball! Last night, my dearest Baseball Chick had her very first practice. Friends! The girl is a natural. Not that I am surprised. We've watched her on the hoop outside our house for a whole year, shaking our heads, saying "this girl needs to play basketball." She's quick, she's aggressive and she makes baskets. I'm smelling a point guard.

Girlfriend was clearly a whole foot smaller than all the girls on her team. As I sat on the side watching her learn some ins and outs, I marveled at how much smaller she is. I'm guessing parents of particularly tall girls tend to think basketball will be a good thing for their kid. We look at our Baseball Chick and say her small height, incredible speed and surprising aggressive play is going to be the ticket for her.

Speaking of "her", her name must now officially change. I think we have fallen in love with a new sport. Her new name will naturally be "Bball Girl." To be fair, we're talking 8 year olds here. But even with that, my girl was doing her thing. There was the skill practice and warm ups and then the fun of a scrimmaging another team. Now this, friends, was delightful. To be clear, there was a point where Bball Girl's team had the ball and Bball Girl should have been trying to make herself open for a pass. What she was actually doing was blocking the defender. The Hub, smirking, said "um...that's not what she is supposed to be doing." True, but the best part of it would be the skill with which she was blocking. She was all over that player. The poor girl couldn't get past Bball Girl. Okay, so she has to figure out when to do what, but that will come with practice and game play time. The beauty was certainly in her natural ability to move over that court. The girl has found a home for her heart.

The very best part of the evening would have to be Bball Girl's ridiculous steal from the opposing team. Coach blew the whistle and explained to the team there's no stealing allowed (at this age level). Well, shoot! Clearly, if they let her steal she's going to be all over that ball. This sport is not ready for this girl. After practice the coach's only question was has she played before. And her only statement was "she's good."

Friends, I think this will help me to get over my football-mom grief. Just a bit. First basketball game on Saturday. Can. Not. Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment