Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Christmas Tale

"Mom, how many days NOW until Christmas," says Youngest on his way home from school yesterday.
"Well, Youngest, we now have five days to go," I patiently informed him.
"Tell me what we do for Christmas. Tell me how it goes."
"No problem, buddy. We go to church service on Christmas Eve. When we come home we get to open one Christmas present each. Then we go to bed and in the morning when we wake up it's Christmas and we open all the presents."
"Mom, you should have written my name on more of those presents that are under the tree right now. You should have written my name on lots of them. My name is only on, like, one or two."
"Don't worry, buddy. Daddy and I are going to do some more shopping. We'll get you some more presents."
"Good! Can I come?"
"No, buddy. The presents are a surprise. I can't take you with me!"
"I can pretend. I can pretend like I don't know what the presents are. Please? I want to come shopping with you."
"No, buddy. It has to be a surprise."
"Well, I can forget. After we go shopping I can just forget what you bought. I can be really surprised when I open them!"

Well, friends. You really can't argue with the determined logic of a five-year old. I can tell you he didn't convince me, but he DOES make a great case.

No comments:

Post a Comment