Monday, November 8, 2010

Holding Our Heads High

Friends, this is one blog post I didn't want to have to write. Who wants to spend time reflecting on the demise of a certain "sure-win?' Well, sure as I was, Oldest's team proved me wrong. They lost to Oakton, 17-14. By a simple kick of the foot; a swing really. Nothing spectacular or awe-strikingly beautiful. Yet, worth three lousy points. I fear, I am still in shock. I've had plenty of distractions throughout the remainder of the weekend but all in all, I can't get away from thinking I'd never thought they'd lose.

Actually, I must say it probably hit me at about the third quarter when Oakton got on the scoreboard. Somewhere around that time, they were playing sharper and our "sure thing" was losing it's shine. There was just something in the air. Maybe we picked the wrong section of seating on the bleachers. Something was just..."off". Our defensive team played spectacularly. Oldest and his lineman really don't give up much when it came to yardage. There were plenty of tackles, not much gain for the Cougars. You know, the Cougars, the one with the literal Cougar roaring sound played out of the Commentator's box. Or perhaps you know them by the gun pop that they insisted on shooting off at every (arguably) good play the team had. I think that gun thing was just to ruffle my nerves. I, friends, am not bitter. As you can plainly see.

I can not attribute this atrocity to referee ridiculousness or even to them being a better team. Our offense simply wasn't able to rack up the points as they should have been. Being the amateur at this game, I can't tell you if there were a lot of mistakes that we made, but I can tell you there was a sad, sad moment when I realized, for the first time that night, we may lose. Friends, actually losing was so much worse. Up until the last two minutes of the game I was thinking we may have a sliver of a chance. That was, of course, until I realized these Cougars (Roarrrr, inserted here, apparently) are just ticking away at the clock. Just shuffling their feet on the field, willing to have the Delay of Game penalty, as the time just ticks terribly by. That was hard to sit and watch. That's the kind of thing that makes you yell at refs and shake your fists at players. Of course, I did neither of those things. You know me better than that.

Nonetheless, Oldest and his guys walked off the fields, with their heads held high enough to see the tears streaming down. This was for the District Title. What senior would like anything better than to earn the distinct privilege of being District Champions? Instead, across town, the only other team to beat them in regular season, Centreville, went down without a prayer, costing themselves the Title too. There was a little yelp of joy attached to that. The Title, by default, went to Robinson. Did they earn it? Technically, yeah, I guess. But emotionally, no way. Chantilly has poured their guts into this season and man, it would have been really nice to see them get that Title.

Oakton needed the win to make the playoffs so we knew they were bringing all they had on Friday night. We, on the other hand, were in either way. So other than the Title loss, it's a moot point for us. Except that I wanted my boy to earn that Title. Can I tell you from the minute I realized we lost this game I started fretting over next week's game. Oh, my. This one is going to be a whopper. We play our biggest rival, Westfield. Oh, my. The only team to give us trouble this year, beating us 14-0 until the 3rd quarter when we came back to beat them 17-14. Here we face them again and the nerves are already a twitchin'. This is not the team we wanted to face in the first round of playoffs, friends. This week will be a week of massive preparation for the Chargers. They simply must come up with a few new plays (so says my football loving Hub), they simply must take Westfield by surprise, and they simply must win. The defense will have to bring an A++ game and the offense, well, they just have to bring it. period.

Saturday morning we got to finish up the regular season of baseball with a chilly, chilly day and the regular season of soccer. Baseball Chick did wonderfully and enjoyed an end-of-season party to boot. Youngest scored no less than 4 of his team's 6 goals in this final game. My favorite would have to be when the other team kicked off and after a half second hesitation by both teams, Youngest was off. Took the ball down the entire field and straight to the goal. Teammates and opposing players stood stunned, not quite sure if they could believe it themselves. It was beautiful.

Must of have been the Mohawk. Youngest begged (begged, friends!) to get a Mohawk like his brother. He is officially an honorary Chantilly Charger football player. He is sporting that thing around and as if he didn't get enough already, is getting ALL the attention from everyone. He's one cool dude.

Soccer Chick's game would also be a reason I delayed posting today. I've told you before how frustrated she has been with this season and this week's game was no different. My role here is just keep telling her to keep her head held high. She tied the game up 1-1 with a beautiful side shot, sunk deep in the net. Gotta love that left foot. And I swear, we blinked, and they scored 3 more. We lost 4-1 just like that. I think I must have bent to get something out of my purse, looked up and we were facing a losing game. We apparently are still at the level of all girls having equal playing time and rotating positions. Rotate-schmotate, I say. Let's win some games for goodness sakes! Frustrated doesn't begin to explain how this poor girl felt. Soccer Chick, I mean of course. You know I don't get too attached to these games or anything...

Just when Soccer Chick thought "good, I can put this season behind me?" we discover, all teams play in the tournament this upcoming weekend. With our 2-5 record this season, can we just put this thing to bed? Apparently not. Before these girls' eyes will be fully open next Saturday morning, we will be up on the field trying to save face. If we lose, Lord help us, we're done for the season. If we win, we play again in the afternoon.

In the Copeland house, we're down to two out of four athletes left in games. When you get a minute this week, say some happy thoughts for those Chantilly Chargers. Wouldn't that be fabulous for Oldest, advance to the next round of playoffs. C'mon, you want it much as we do. Start your happy thinking today. You got all week to practice.

Favorite Youngest moment of the weekend:
"Mom, do you know what hot chocolate is made out of?"
"No, Youngest. What is it?"
"Hot and Chocolate. I've seen the chocolate at the store but I haven't seen them sell the hot yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment