Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Yellow Car!

Have you ever played the game "Yellow Car?" Well, as is typical in our home, somebody starts something new and it catches like wildfire. Such is Yellow Car. The Hub started it a few weeks back. Basically, when out and about, if you see a yellow car, you are the first to yell "yellow car!" It's competitive and apparently, entertaining to some. It sounds more like "yella cah". This has become quite the phenomena in our home.

This morning on the way to work was just such a typical example. Driving along, Youngest is deep in the zone of "talk", going on and on about something. I spot a yellow van. Now, let me digress for a quick second. The kids have made up their own set of rules about this game. One of the main rules being everyone has to see the car, so there's no made up "yella cahs" and it has to be solid yellow. No emblem, logo, etc. So here we are this morning, riding along, and I, the person who never plays this game, spot a yellow van. So, feeling a little pleased with myself, I offer a "yella van!" To which my dearest Youngest announces, "that doesn't count. Yellow vans don't count." Why not, I wonder? Amazing how fast he came up with that rule when it helped his Yella Cah count and not mine. As he's explaining his reasoning for why a yellow van doesn't count he interrupts himself to shout: "yella cah" and then his voice resumes a regular tone and he picks up where he left off in his description of why my effort was shot down. He, of course, scored an additional worthy point for what he spotted.

Oh yes, he's a talker. If you know him, then you know I am seriously right. Last night at dinner, he's talking...a lot...about nothing...on repeat. It bordered on torturous. Finally, I asked him to stop talking and keep eating. He pondered this thought for a moment. And I tell you friends, there was some wild activity going on behind those eyes. Really wild. I could tell his brain was firing off thoughts and he was thinking not only of what to say next but why he wanted to say what he would say, and what would it mean, and when would he say it, and...and...and... About 30 seconds later (yes, friends, that's all I got was 30 seconds) he says "mom, I was talking in my brain. You said not to talk, so I talked in my brain instead. I told my brain what to say. I told my brain to speak louder so I could hear him. He has a face and a nose and a whole body mom. But he can't do what he wants mom. He has to say what I tell him to say. So he was saying what I told him to say, mom." People, the boy is pure comedic genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment