Monday, June 21, 2010

What A Weekend!

I knew going into it that it would be a doo-sey! Chock full of stuff. Coming, going, sitting, standing, cheering, socializing. And it was every bit of that. Saturday started way too early; before the birds event thought about chirping. 7:30 Soccer Chick was on the field for the first of 3 possibly 4 games. Now, without any bragging included I can tell you with all confidence that she was the MVP for that game. Of course, 10 year olds don't have such a thing so I'm awarding it to her. Official or not, she played her heart out. Remember, it's 7:30 in the morning. I was exhausted just watching her and the team play. They won the first game 2-0 with both goals belonging to none other than Soccer Chick. My favorite part of the morning was walking along the backside of the opposing team's parents and hearing a man in a strong Middle Eastern accent, declare "get the girl with the left foot. That's all she's got is the left foot! Nothing more". Haha. I thought it was funny. I almost said "ah, c'mon. She's got more than that and you know it." Don't get too excited because the story takes a pitiful turn...

Before I get to that, following Soccer Chick's a.m. game was Baseball Chick's final game of the season. Final. Baseball. Game. Whew. There were quite a few antics from her overzealous, seriously animated coach that gave us more than a chuckle. Outside of that, it was a pretty good game. They were losing, so they decided to play just for the fun of it, according to Coach.

We had a short break in between the conclusion of that game and the start of game #2 for Soccer Chick. Now, I'm not sure what transpired between 7:30am and 1:00pm but something definitely did. The Soccer Chick playing in game #2 was definitely not the same as the one playing in the a.m. game. She apparently decided that she didn't feel like running, hustling, shooting, or caring. She pretty much shuffled her feet and missed kicks the whole game. She got two minor injuries, a ball to the gut and a head to the lip both of which you would have thought were massive. But seriously, folks, were not. Despite my frustration, delicately expressed from the sideline, Soccer Chick was just not feeling it. The team they played had won the morning game 7-0 and our coach decided to tell the girls this prior to the game. Not sure if this messed their mo-jo all up but the definitely didn't battle for a win. My favorite part of this game was when Soccer Chick took the head to the lip. Okay, no, not the injury part. But the two moms sitting beside me both gasped and said "oh no, Soccer Chick's hurt. Not Soccer Chick. What are we going to do?!?" Funny. Everyone sees her as a key player, top scorer and yet, here she is doing nothing. Nothing. I asked her about it on the side. Again, delicately, of course. And she said their defenders were just too good. Nothing was getting past them and their defense was unstoppable. So, what? We just give up. Yes, apparently, we do. They suffered a pitiful loss of 3-0. And with that advanced to the final game Sunday morning.

Don't be deceived, we were in no way done for the day. We attended the end of season party for the Baseball Chick's team. Very nice neighborhood cookout in way-too-hot weather, but with really great food. By the time the day's activities were complete, I really had reached exhaustion. I laid on my bed and "went on to glory" as the Hub likes to say when he gets that really good nap in. I could not tell you what time I fell asleep but I can tell you it was 9pm when I woke up; not knowing if it was a.m or p.m!

Sunday morning: Game #3 for Soccer Chick. Based on Game #2's result it was highly predictable they would not be advancing to the final championship game Sunday afternoon. A-Okay with me! Game #3, 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday, on the soccer field. Again, some alien took over my child's body and she played the worse game of soccer I have ever seen. She literally hung her head, shuffled her feet and pouted on the field. Pouted, people. What is that? I have never seen her play this way. Perhaps she is just soccer-fried? Not sure, but it was painful to watch. My saving grace is that I needed to leave early for church set up. Thank goodness because I couldn't take it anymore. I gave her my pre-exit speech on the side about how she needed to get her butt together. This was the last game and she never had to play soccer again in her life for all I care, but while she is out on that field she needs to do something. Good grief.

A fellow parent dropped her off at church later and turns out, second half of the game was miracle producing. They won 4-0. Soccer Chick apparently told Coach to take her out of Left Forward and he put her at Center Mid instead. This position apparently suited her better and she had several assists that resulted in that 4-0 victory. She has a strong left foot and it comes in handy when used properly.

Sunday afternoon, graduation party for a high school graduate friend. Parties are never my thing, especially when full of people I don't know at all. But I made out just fine with the food, and the kids enjoyed the pool. By the time this entire weekend was done we were super-pooped. It was full, fun and tiring, but well worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment