Friday, June 4, 2010

PRE-Weekend Sports Update

I think you will agree a Pre-Weekend Sports Update may just be as important as the actual run down of how things went. I want to prepare you for what's coming this weekend. In the life of us, it's pretty big. Oldest has a basketball team headed to the semi-finals Saturday. Did you hear that? S.E.M.I F.I.N.A.L.S. Seriously. This is the same kid who handles the basketball like a hot potato and admits he sucks at the game. Yet, his team did very well, finishing 7-4 in their regular season. His brick wall body certainly helped.

Saturday...semi-finals. AND, if they win...FINALS on Sunday afternoon. Can't hardly sit still in anticipation. I really hope they win Saturday. I mean, it is just a house basketball league for 11th graders. But seriously, people. This is major. Wanted to prepare you so you could be thinking good thoughts for old boy this weekend. And he turns 17 today. Now what else is there to be smiling about? 17 and semi-finals. Life is good.

Speaking of birthdays, we did the traditional "greet you at your door and serenade you" thing this morning. Remarkably, Oldest tolerated it...smiled, even. Hard to believe, but he stood in the doorway for the entire song. Smiling. Ah, to be 17 again. Despite my encouragement, none of the others wanted to venture across the threshold of the door to give a birthday hug. "C'mon," I said... "It's okay. You can come in." He's taught them well. They stood in the hallway like children starring in the movie The Shining...staring into his room. Heads slowly shaking left and right. He has definitely taught them well.

Soccer Chick has her final game of the season tomorrow. Trophies, accolades and donuts. Just what any good athlete needs. And then we move on to All-Stars. First practice Monday. Now, this should be fun. This is where the psycho soccer-moms (self definitely included) get to really live out loud.

Baseball Chick. Relax. She has SEVERAL more games to go in this season. It is baseball, after all. And lastly Youngest. I'm perplexed about this guy. He is dying to be on a team; to play a sport. Yet the only option for him at this age is soccer in the fall. He has announced to me that "soccer sucks!". I'm tickled by how adamant he is about his feelings towards soccer. He says football and basketball are his games. Not that he has ever played either, formally speaking. But that's the way he's guiding his future. Far be it for me to stand in his way.

Just to leave you with some Youngest wisdom going into your weekend, last night, he didn't finished one slice of pizza. Despite my explanation that this was dinner, he talked all the way through our table time and picked at it. It must be interesting to be dying to talk so much you would forsake eating to accomplish your pleasure. Definitely not a problem I have. Sure enough, 1 hour later, homeboy was hungry. I explained that he didn't eat his dinner. To which, he informed me "pizza is not dinner." As he saw it, "you know, mom. When you order pizza that's dinner #1. And then you cook dinner #2." At this point, I turn around to face him. I have to see this logic in action. At the look on my face, he says "Okay, okay. Give me the pizza already."

No comments:

Post a Comment