Friday, November 18, 2011

Yes, It Is All That...Apparently

I find it pretty funny to see how this whole 4th grade basketball, NBA-Wanna-Be season is panning out. From the coach's perspective, or, coach's wife's perspective, I could have pre-guessed that it was going to be intense. I blogged to you about the assessment, rating the players in free shot attempts, dribbling, shooting and a 10 minute scrimmage.

The results are in. The good news is Bball Girl was pretty high up in the ranking. The Hub ventured out to the draft meeting last night and friends, I am not surprised at how the evening panned out. Predictably, these fellas (and two high school girls who are coaching - you go girls!) gathered at the coordinator's house to do an actual, serious as can be, draft on 4th grade girls. Since The Hub's daughter ranked pretty high he got the 4th round draft pick.

My disclaimer here needs to be that I do not follow the actual NBA. Since it is disintegrating before our eyes, I suppose my ignorance is not going to matter. As with all sports, I've become smarter and more educated as my children have explored them. Long, long ago I gave up on youth sports myself, much to my life-long disappointment. Since I do not know a whole lot about what I'm talking about regarding the draft system in athletics, forgive me if I am not making complete sense.

What is crystal clear is the competitiveness of the coachs. Although these are grown men, and the players are 4th grade girls, there was a legitimate draft with legitimate negotiations for players. The Hub gave the full report when he got home last night, even a bit surprised at how serious these guys take this process. The Hub was flexible on which girls he got. He didn't attend the assessment so looking at the results on paper was challenging. He tried to get one teammate of Bball Girl's from last season. Their nicknames together should be "tall" and "short," and they make a dynamic team when they are on the court together. Unfortunately, because of scheduling conflicts The Hub couldn't snag her. He did get a pair of twins. Two pairs, actually. One pair is good friends with Bball Girl and this ensures the season is going to be entertaining, to say the least.

The Hub also took the one lone child who ranked at the bottom of the assessment. He was happy to take her, with lots of cheerful talk about the girls having fun and learning skills, and some of that "who cares if we win or not" stuff. Friends, I have no idea what he is talking about. I think he has thrown this season away. I think he has temporarily lost his mind. Or maybe his competitive edge? Not sure what's going on with him. He must be getting sick. I am going to try to shake some sense into him. C'mon, guys. This is 4th grade basketball we are talking about here. Very important stuff. We can't throw it all away, all in the name of having fun. Jeesh, what is he thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment