Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shhhhh...

As a working mom with a full time job, four children, a husband, kids' sports teams and a Pastor's Wife to a local community church, this sister-girl is busy. Normally, all is handled well, with a smile and a wink, things are great. Every now and then there is a spirit of irritation that creeps up and says, "listen, friend. These people need to leave you alone." Now you know that is not a pretty sight.

Today was that day. Do you ever just want to have some peace and quiet? All moms out there know what I mean. I made the big mistake of watching a few minutes of "19 And Counting" with Soccer Chick. You know that show about the Duggar family and their 19 kids. Well, she's pregnant so they will have to legally change the name...again...this time to "20 Kids And Counting." Those people are something else. Especially when they get in front of the TV screen talking about how they never raise their voice and don't yell. Are you kidding me? All those kids? I can't imagine trying to get one thing accomplished and you have 15 or so more crawling up your thigh. My gosh, sounds exhausting just thinking about it. Maybe I don't handle pressure too well. But there Michelle Duggar stood, with her soft, lovely voice, essentially stating she is superwoman in a pretty package and a calm voice. Soccer Chick looked over at me, "Mom. You should take notes." Wow, I couldn't change the channel fast enough. These kids, what do they know...

Today was my day of total irritation. Happens, oh, every month or so... I just wanted to hear some quiet. Didn't feel like chatting, didn't feel like answering questions. Really didn't feel like thinking, if that were possible. Do you know that because God knows so much more than we can possibly imagine, He gives us exactly what we need and often what we deserve. Youngest is a chatter-box at the competitive level. My mother used to say something of similarity in describing me. I think she's mistaken. I swear I couldn't have been this bad. Youngest has a mouth that never runs out of batteries. It's always moving, while eating, playing, taking a bath, sometimes even while sleeping.

All those things we hear like, "you are your mother's child," and "history repeats itself," and of course, "this is exactly how you used to be when you were young," are all true. So painfully true. So although I might need Youngest to be quiet, "be quiet" to him is the same as saying "whisper." There is no "off" button. So on my special day like today when I just need some peace and quiet, there is no option. I enjoy the luxurious drive to work for this very reason. The moment those kids get out of the car for school a smile creeps upon my face. Ahhh, finally. A second of quiet. It only lasts a few moments, so with all good things, I enjoy it while it lasts. This is what brings the balance. Enjoy the noise and the chaos, but enjoy the peace when it arrives too.

No comments:

Post a Comment