Saturday, June 18, 2011

You Are What You Read

This saying usually goes along the lines of "you are what you eat." I don't dispute that. If it's true then I am good, cause I love me some good food. But seriously, I believe this little quote can be changed just a tad to say you are what you read. Do you read? Friends! Find something fascinating and educate your brain. Personally, I would read 3-4 books a week if I could be left alone long enough to do so. Clearly not happening for some years now.

Alright, as I step off my Reading Is Fundamental soap box, I want to tell you I am reading The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave. Quickly, let me tell you I am not enrolled in college so this is not required reading as you might assume. I was browsing the library shelves and found myself in the biography section. I have come to realize that the real stories of real people is what fascinates me the most. So God led me to Frederick Douglass. Wow, friends. If you haven't read this, you must. We can't begin to understand the plight of American slaves if we don't try to see life through their eyes.

I will tell you it's not a read for the queasy stomach. Its brutal, in fact. But, in my opinion, also a necessary tool in understanding. In my case, I am confident that Charlottesville City Public Schools required that I read this in high school. I can't say that I recall any of it. Likely because I could have cared less at age 17. So that's why at 36 I am re-reading a piece of gold. I hope that I am what I read. I hope that my eyes continue to be open and educated.

I am most fascinated with the slave owner. I am amazed at the recounting of beatings with little to no hesitation. What kind of person could inflict inconceivable pain on another person without their own soul being at unrest? I get that it became the culture, but I have difficultly wrapping my head around how any person could be comfortable inflicting that pain. I can only speak for myself. I go to great lengths to avoid violence. I can't watch those TruTV shows which show people getting injured or hurt, even at their own doing. Adults fighting? Forget it. It does something to my spirit to watch such nonsense. The Hub, he is all "ooo, did you see that? Turn it back!" Me: forget it. I can't watch people destroy other people.

I say all that to say, reading this book is amazing. Thank you Frederick Douglass for taking the time and inspiration to pen your thoughts. To relay the difficult things you and your fellow slaves endured so that we might read them and educate ourselves on the history of America and the plight of slaves.

Alright, enough with the heavy. I have to end my blog today with some other thoughts. As I sit this mid-day, having completed one soccer game for Soccer Chick (I will refrain from commenting on the pitiful performance of her team this morning), I am two days away from my sweet Oldest graduating. I am reminded of the song by Sidewalk Prophets. The chorus is amazing:

Be strong in the Lord and,
Never give up hope,
You're going to do great things,
I already know,

God's got His hand on you so,
Don't live life in fear,
Forgive and forget,
But don't forget why you're here

These friends are the exact words, in the exact way, I would share with my graduate and our other friends who are graduating. And in case I get too sad about my Oldest leaving, I remember that I have Youngest. Funny, through and through. This morning he bumped his elbow, and I made a big deal out of acting out a scene of being an emergency doctor, fixing his arm. Put the fellow up on my kitchen counter and pretended to be the doctor fixing him fast. He looked at me straight-faced and serious and said "Mom. You do know my hand is on your boob."

No comments:

Post a Comment