Thursday, June 9, 2011

Oh, Youngest...

My dear readers, I have blogged for a bit about all of my delightful children. They all bring me such joy and humor. They are not perfect and we have our moments, but if someone would describe our family they would probably include "funny" somewhere in there. A co-worker told me recently that I remind her of The Cosby Show with my family antics and stories. Where is that TV contract, I'm wondering...

This morning I realized that I had a pad of post-its in the car. Something seemingly insignificant is actually priceless. Youngest is ALWAYS saying something that keeps me on my toes, laughing, amazed at his insight and wisdom, in awe of his five-year-old logic. So this morning I had a big smile knowing that now I could write down what my boy says in that short drive to daycare.

For starters...

I go through the usual pre-drop off talk, "have a great day...behave...play nice," you know, that kind of stuff.
"MOM," he exclaims, "One of my teachers is pregnant. She's going to have a baby."
"Wow, really?"
"Yea. She's the big fat one." Now you and I both know he meant her belly was the fat part.
"Is she going to have a boy or girl?"
"I don't know. Good question, mom. It isn't out yet so how would I know?"

And then...
"Mom, I should be 17 and Oldest should be 19 right now. That would be cool. I should have been born second."
"Really? Why is that?" I ask.
"Because it takes soooooo long to grow bigger. I have been waiting a really long time and its just not happening for me. I am still the smallest in the house. Its boring being small."
Coming from one short adult, I concur Youngest, I concur.

And lastly...

"Mom, do you know Maya at my school?" (Name changed for her own safety, of course)
"No, I haven't seen her yet. Why?"
"Oh mom, yesterday on the playground she grabbed me by the head and kissed me on the ear."
"What? Are you serious? What did you say?"
"Nothing. I ran away fast. I was going to move but I didn't see her coming."
That, friends, will be the story of his gorgeous boy's life. He won't even see the "hers" coming.

"And, mom...she told me three times yesterday that she loves me."
"How did that happen?" I ask. And more importantly, I'm wondering where did this little girl come from. She and I will have to meet. Soon.

"Well, at breakfast and at circle time and at lunch. Those three times she said 'Youngest...I loooovvee youuu." Youngest tells me in the sweetest, most adoring voice he could muster up.

Um. Houston...we have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment