Saturday, May 28, 2011

Power In The Name...

With all the news footage of devastation in Joplin, Missouri one story sticks out for me. Of course, the massive destruction for miles around is incredible. People are dumbfounded; nothing is left. Except hope. Last night The Hub and I watched "Deadly Impact" by Anderson Cooper on CNN. As I watched Anderson, straight-faced and composed, interviewing these families I knew this could not be my job. My heart is usually on the outside and my goodness, I wouldn't be able to ask them questions. I'd just hug 'em and cry...hug 'em and cry...move on down the line. Everyone I see we would just hug and cry. Not sure how much good I would be, so thank God for Anderson, able to get these people's stories out there. I can't imagine the shock and despair they are facing. Yet, they have hope. People who have lost everything haven't lost everything. As Anderson reflected, they rebuild by holding on to hope, one piece at a time.

The most moving story I heard was the story of the teenager traveling home with his father from his high school graduation. They found themselves on the edge of the storm with no time to take cover. They made it into a subdivision and in the middle of the road, the father and the son held on to each other with a permanent grip force. The teenager was literally taken up through the sunroof of the car and this family was interviewed as they continue to search for him. The sister and the aunt of the young boy were filmed telling what happened. The aunt relayed that her brother, the teenager's father, said when the storm hit them, sounding like 100 freight trains at once, the teenager started quoting scripture. Word after word, sentence after sentence began pouring out of his mouth. Totally out of character for him, said the aunt.

Friends, how blessed is that? In the moment of extreme crisis, this young man relied on a faith that sustains. He called on the Name of Jesus. He spoke words that held power. You know I was a hot mess watching this. Praying instantly that they would find him and that the Lord Almighty would bring peace to this family. Thanking God that the teen grasped onto something stronger than the tornado they were in the middle of. My God. In a moment of terror, what would you do?

This morning as I woke up, this was the first thing on my mind. What would I do? What would my children do? Those same children whom I've raised in the fear and admonition of the Lord, who don't always love God out loud as I would like for them to? Every Christian parent's prayer is that their child would call on the Name of the Lord when He is needed.

Do we truly understand the power in that Name? This young teenager did. These were the words that he chose to shout out in his time of desperate need. The power of God is the power that protects, guides, leads, encourages, sustains. What a blessing that this boy knew to call the One who saves, the One who is most concerned for his well-being.

I wish I had a happy ending to this story. I don't know the ending yet. I do know that I am blessed that all over the place God's presence is evident in these Joplin residents' lives. Pray for the families who are searching night and day. Pray specifically. Ask God to show them where their loved one is. Ask God to find those that are still alive, perhaps buried. Ask God to reveal the bodies of those who didn't survive. Ask God to continue His miracles day after day. Friends, our job here is to pray. Most of us can't jump in a car, leave our homes, jobs, responsibilities and head on down to Joplin to help. Let us not take for granted the power in speaking with Jesus on behalf of those we don't even know. Your prayers are heard and answered. Get to praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment