Thursday, May 26, 2011

Faith That Sustains

As I drove into work today, working from a remote site, in a heavily congested area (that information will matter later), I was listening to wtop, news radio. I was so moved by the reported story of faith based organizations on the ground in Joplin, Missouri. A lady interviewed was there with her church distributing sandwiches and sodas. Something so simple, yet as she said, so basic and so needed at this very moment. "People are forgetting to eat," she said. Hundreds of people are searching through wreckage for lost loved ones and items that survived the storms. What a blessing to hear the voice of this one Christian lady sending the message of hope and love. As she said, its something so easy for us to do and we want to be here doing it. Before the federal aid can get processed and arrive on the scene, here are these soldiers for Jesus sustaining these folks.

This is the part of Christianity that I love. This the part that makes me stay a Christian even when my faith is shaken. When my prayers don't seem to be answered, when I am filled with anxiety and doubt and when trouble is rolling through like my own tornado. The fact that people who love God, love others. Christians are flawed people just like anyone else. But basic Christianity is loving and helping others. Reaching people in their time of need. Its not just helping, but wanting to help. This lady and her little old church was just one group of people handing out sandwich after sandwich. In times of despair we hear stories like this all the time. God's people helping people. Makes me proud to be a Christian. Makes me encouraged to see Him represented well.

I'm in the car, just feeling so overjoyed by the good of God in a terrible situation when WHAM! I clip the back of a car. Did I tell you how congested the area I was driving in today is? Try one intersection with seriously seven offshoots. No lie. If you've ever been to the seven corners area of Falls Church then you feel me. It really is like that. Here I am thinking both my lane and the other lane go down this one offshoot and apparently that was not so.

As I pulled over to the side I took a really deep breath and reached for my phone. No one was injured but you gotta report it to the police, right? I can see the dented in fender of this fella's car and to tell the truth I really don't want to see what has been done to my car. Or should I say The Hub's car. This would be the car I happen to be driving today. I do not want to go look at it. Not that anyone was inviting me to. It is a super busy intersection so over on the side of the road was a good place to sit and wait.

Mr. Friendly comes out of his car and barks at me some question that amounted to exactly what did I think I was doing! "I thought both lanes go this way," Second bark amounts to something like clearly, they do not! As he storms off to his car he lets off a large F-bomb. Now friends, I do not cuss. I think there are parts of the English language that God doesn't find pleasant or colorful so, many years ago I made the conscious choice to zap them. As you know, if you aren't used to being around something it seems more pronounced when it does happen. So Mr. Friendly's choice of word caught me off guard. As I watched him walk back to his car I literally asked myself if this guy was serious. I had seen his car and really didn't find it worthy of all that.

He comes back and looks at my car and shakes his pitiful head. "No damage. You essentially have no damage. How does that happen?" Well, dude. There is a reason people buy and drive Mercedes Benz vehicles. Its not just for the looks. Unlike him, I don't drive a Mitsubishu. I called 911 and me and my new bff waited 20 minutes until the operator called me back to inform me they didn't have an officer available now. We could continue to wait or exchange insurance and be on our way. I'm late to work, so if this guy is cool with it, so am I. I'll refrain from commenting on the police force availability. It is Falls Church so...

Mr. Friendly offers to buy me a coffee from the gas station we are parked in front of. Um. No thanks. I do get out and look at the front bumper and exhale for the first time. Not bad. The Hub won't be happy, but all in all, not bad. Mostly paint dust. Minimal scratches. The Hub might not see it that way, exactly, but that's what I'm going with.

Insurance exchanged, apologies exchanged. It needs to be noted the apology wasn't from me. Mr. Friendly apologized for his temper and language. Hadn't been in an accident in years and so he was mad, he says. As I walked back to my car to head to my office finally, and late, something dawned on me. The grace of God truly did keep this emotional girl calm. I think his choice of language helped. At that moment I knew I wasn't going to react like this guy. Not the language of course, but the reaction to a minor hiccup in the course of life. If you would have asked me about this in advance I would have told you I would be shaken up. I'm so delighted to say this was not the case. I could feel the presence of God surrounding me, keeping me calm and reminding me "you are in a Mercedes Benz girl."

I also have "Mercedes Benz" faith, friends. God's covering really is that more valuable vehicle. More reliable, more sturdy, less easily damaged, protective (I could go on and on)...Faith in God means I am sustained by the power of the One who covers me. Oooo God is so good. Another and I may walk away from an altercation and the hot-head fella may walk away scratched up, dented in and twisted out of shape. But this girl? Well, shoot. This girl got some Jesus and I walk away in shape, not twisted up and no dents. Hallelujah! Girlfriend bout to preach up in here. Friends, may I encourage you with something? See God in everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment