Monday, December 3, 2012

Lasting Compassion...

"There are people in our life who are hurting...and we don't even know it." Profound quote, taken from the man on Christian radio this morning as he spoke about the unfathomable murder/suicide involving the KC Chiefs NFL player and his girlfriend. It's worth repeating since in the days following this awful travesty, people are left wondering how they didn't know about what this guy was going through. It's terribly sad to read, watch and hear about as it's played out in the news. It's devastating when it hits close to our own homes.

Yesterday my pastor preached a phenomenal message about giving. Many churches across the country will spend the month of Christmas focused on the joys found in being giving people. Statistics show the increase in the giving spirit that comes at this time of year, more than any other time. The thing is, we lose that giving spirit as we round the bend into the new year. We lose the heaviness and sadness we feel at the loss Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins. Feelings fade.

Emotions that we feel strongly at this moment, won't be as prevalent in three weeks. Time has that awful way of doing that to us. As I took in the sermon yesterday, I couldn't write my notes fast enough. I'm captivating by giving. Both The Hub and I have a lifelong passion to be givers, whether it's money (doesn't mean you get to call me for some), opening our home, volunteering for service, kindness, resources, etc. Our list can't be long enough. After all, you know what they say..."you can't outgive God." Maybe not, but we'd like to die trying.

Pastor found this amazing website that feeds right into our fancy: www.ilikegiving.com. This fantastic idea sprung from one man's vision to not only be a giver, but be a platform to promote more selfless giving. Giving brings joy. Joy brings peace. Peace brings the ability to triumph over extremely difficult situations. Triumph means we make it through the rough patches unscathed. Jovan Belcher didn't have joy, peace, or triumph. My hope is that anytime we learn of such a tragedy as this one, it's a lasting reminder of how precious people are; a lasting reminder of how we truly don't know what people are going through. Since we can't possibly know our co-workers, neighbors and even friends, struggles completely we should work to operate with compassion constantly. Make it your rule of thumb, not an exception to your normal rule.

On a lighter note, I'll close my blog post today with a recap of a fantastic youth basketball game. Not that I'm biased or anything, but 5th grade basketball is as good to watch as any old WNBA game. In fact, watching my girl out there do her thing yesterday afternoon had me casting visions of seeing her in that WNBA game. She's fierce, I tell ya. Naturally athletic, and ridiculously competitive, she had her opponent ticked off. Season opener was closed with a win, 31-18 and a strong 17 points by my Bball Girl. Her defense is intense and I'm not joking when I tell you the girl she was covering was frustrated. Complaining to the ref didn't help her. Throwing a wild elbow and a push or two didn't help her. Bball Girl stayed in the zone, dominating the play and beautifully managing to not let the girl get in her head. It was fun to watch and possibly even more fun to chuckle at The Hub as he lightheartedly debated with an opponent's parents, conveniently seated next to us. I'm going to have to find a far away seat to put him in for these games.

No comments:

Post a Comment