Thursday, December 1, 2011

The "C" Word

Friends, I'm crossing a line. True football fans never outwardly support the "other" team. And you know, everyone who loves a sport, has an "other." You know, that team that you take pride in disliking. I swear sports are the only avenue for openly acceptable disdain. I never cease to be amazed at the passion of my fellow football-lovers. Faces painted, head gear on, ridiculous posters waving and usually freezing their butts off for the benefit of going shirtless to show team pride. That's love.

The opposite of that love is the power and intensity that one feels for the enemy. The "other." I've told you how I struggle with trying to choose a team. It's not been so great for me in the selection process. I can't seem to wrap my head around a whole team, but it does seem to be pretty easy to identify teams I'm not a fan of. Don't shoot me, neighbors, but the Redskins can go away now. I know I live here but seriously, I just don't understand this team, their struggles and their unwavering fan base. Some things I guess I just won't understand.

Despite my inner-oh-no's I decided to read a book written by Brett Favre's wife. Ugh. No offense to the man, but for sure he's on the "other" list. I'm not afraid to say I'm not a fan of any 'ole Vikings. And the fact that the poor man can't seem to figure out if he's tired or not just rubs me wrong. He's in, he's out, he's retired, he's not. Jeesh. Trying to keep up with his life is exhausting. And I can talk all this smack only because I consider myself a fan of the NFL. Isn't that what Monday Morning Quarterback is all about? Give your criticism and opinion of something that you yourself couldn't possibly attempt to do?

Well, Mrs. Favre has written a book, Don't Bet Against Me. Who knew the woman survived breast cancer, and her husband's troubled past? This would be the reason that I seek out biographies. I find people fascinating. Here again, a fascinating story. No one likes to talk, much less think, about cancer. That scary "c" word stays out of most of our mouthpieces, on purpose. Yet, for way too many of us, it becomes a scary surprise, forcing us to not only say the word but deal with the consequences of it.

My sister is a childhood cancer survive, God bless her. I have lots of memories of visiting hospitals, bloodwork being done, waiting, playing with other cancer-stricken children, and my sister's sickness and struggles. Thank the Lord, she survived and has remained cancer-free for many, many years. My good friend, evangelist Lois Bright is a breast cancer survivor. What a testimony to hear. The woman has chosen to be an encourager by her own faith relationship with God and this obstacle has become just one more way for her to boast of God's glory. Outside of these two fabulous women, the "c" word remains unspoken.

Reading this book I have a new understanding of this terrible disease. I appreciate Deanna's descriptive play-by-play of what was involved with her situation, from diagnosis, to doctor's visits to treatment. She keeps it way real and is very honest and truthful about what she experienced. She also is very clear about the need to be proactive, and for women to self-inspect to have early detection whenever possible.

My lady friends, get her book. Take the time to read it. Not only is it encouraging to read about how she has survived cancer, but awesome to see that she has determined to survive and succeed in a less-than-perfect marriage. Since there is no perfect marriage, someone's honesty and clarity about how they have stood firm in shaky times is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment