Friday, July 8, 2011

Who Knew...

I just know you are going to tell me you already knew this...Tina Turner's hair? Wigs??? Shocking. Seriously. I guess you can call me a little naive. I have learned that I tend to not know some things unless you flat out tell me. I read Tina's autobiography. Eye-opening. I knew Mr. Ike was a not nice guy and I'm sure on some lazy teenage afternoon I saw the made-for-tv movie about Anna Mae. But friends, I didn't realize ole' girl was wearing wigs all this time. With her crazy personality, I just thought that was her rocked out hair.

Another example, you say? Okay, I did not know that Bob Marley was a biracial man. I admit I knew very little about him in general which is probably what prompted me to begin reading his biography. I mean "Bob". I always thought that was a little plain for this guy. Turns out his name was actually Nesta. Interesting story how he came to be referred to commonly as "Bob." You should read the book. I didn't know his daddy was white. Everyone that I share this news to looks at me silly, like "duh." Who doesn't know that? Me, that's who. I had no idea.

Things I have learned about me recently? I can't stay away from the Biography section of the library. I'm fascinated with the real stories of real people. People are amazing. Everyone has a story to tell and for some their story is out loud and worth reading about. For many others, their story is amazing but their anonymity in society has prevented me from knowing it. With that in mind, I've also learned to look at people a little differently. I want to be that type of person: open to learn about the different things that shape us and make us unique. Learning is understanding.

An example: recently Soccer Chick and I headed to the grocery store for a quick minute. Checked out in the express lane. We'll say a slightly older gentleman had checked out before me. He was not elderly, let me put that disclaimer out there. However, he took quite a long time to begin bagging his items. 5 seconds at least. 5 loooonggg seconds. I approached and began scanning my items. I must admit for a quick second I thought maybe I shouldn't scan and send my puppies down the belt because his stuff was down there. But then I thought, what's the big deal? Its express right? He'll just pack his stuff. Shoot, that fella looked at me with the evilest eye his little face could muster. And said "STOP!" With his hand, pushed back my grocery items. Pushed them back up the belt! Now, who was more put out? Me or him? If I was in his shoes, which I am sure I have been before, I would have bagged my own stuff and went about my business, not bothered by someone else's stuff coming down the belt on the express checkout. But that's just me... This guy? Bothered. Clearly. When we got in the parking lot I kidded Soccer Chick, "where's that dude now? I'll tell him about himself right now. Looking at me like that. Is he crazy?" To which my sweet girl says "Mom. Stop. You won't say anything. You didn't say anything when he shoved your food. You won't say anything now."

Another example? I would love to know what makes some people refuse to use a turn signal. A little personal pet peeve I have that has nothing to do with nothing, except that it frustrates me to no end. Most especially when hitting a construction zone and all of sudden other guy's lane is blocked. As we sit almost at a standstill he wants to cut in front. You know what? I don't have any idea what your intentions are if you don't use that silly stick next to your wheel. You know, the stick near the wheel that your hands are already on? And so, I have no obligation to let you move in front of me. This is all what I want to say, of course. What I really say as that cars pulls directly in front of me in a place where I feel there is clearly no room to fit, is "Really? Seriously?!? Give me a break, people," to the prompt eye-rolls of my children who think I surely am crazy for not beeping the horn but talking a whole lot of smack from inside the car. "Mom," Soccer Chick says..."Please stop. You don't say any of that out loud so just stop. Please."

Sigh, children. They fail to understand the freedom in talking junk that will never get heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment